Suggestions for Headphones $200 + / -
Dec 28, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by oPEEPINGTOMo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i ended up going with the SRH840's, and they really seem lacking in the bass department. I'm no bass junkie, but i really like to feel it and for it to have at least some punch to it. I'm thinking of returning these, any suggestions?

I think you're more of a bass head than you think =p.

Get the Denon D2000's. They should have enough bass that many mod them to make them less bass heavy. Should be right up you alley

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're more of a bass head than you think =p.

Get the Denon D2000's. They should have enough bass that many mod them to make them less bass heavy. Should be right up you alley

Yea i was actually thinking about it, they are only a few dollars more than what i paid for the SRH840's anyway. I just want a set of cans that i can hear the nitty gritty details, somewhat warm sound, with good bass. So you think the denons will fulfill my expectations?

I could care less about some of the things i said when i originally started this thread, sound and comfort are the only two factors now.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 24
Yeah, most likely. I am not sure about how warm they are though. You should do some research into that.

Also, the Denon D2000's are more amp dependent than the Shures. They may not be loud enough on an ipod.

Also, concerning the Shures, if you just got them I would wait until you have at least a hundred hours or so on them before you decide you don't like them.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 24
Well I'm planning on getting an amp/dac.

Only thing about 100hrs, is that after that amount of time i wont be able to do an exchange.

Would putting an amp/dac bring the Shures bass up significantly?

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 24
Having just got a pair of the D2000s last week - I can tell you they are great sounding and very comfortable. I dont listen to that much bass-heavy material, but think these have a quite balanced sound, though I wouldnt charaterize them as being overly warm. I also think their detail and high end are very good. I only have around 25 hours on them so far - so I expect from what others have posted that they benefit from a longer break-in - so they should only get better from here. For ~$200 I think these are a great buy.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having just got a pair of the D2000s last week - I can tell you they are great sounding and very comfortable. I dont listen to that much bass-heavy material, but think these have a quite balanced sound, though I wouldnt charaterize them as being overly warm. I also think their detail and high end are very good. I only have around 25 hours on them so far - so I expect from what others have posted that they benefit from a longer break-in - so they should only get better from here. For ~$200 I think these are a great buy.

So is the bass definitely apparent on them? I know phones need to break in, but on the 840's, even though ive only tested them without an amp, the bass just really doesnt seem to be there.

Even speaking on music that isnt bass heavy, for example i listened to a little soft jazz, the voices sounded pretty good, but when the instruments kicked in, they were really clear, but seemed to lack that "depth" in the sound from the lack of bass, even though this particular song wasnt really all that bassy.

Now translate that to say a Rock song which is bassy, and you really notice how lacking it is.

Just really trying to decide 1 of two things.

Will an amp solve my problems if i were to keep the shures

or should i go ahead and get another pair of cans (say the denons) along with an amp/dac

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

So is the bass definitely apparent on them? I know phones need to break in, but on the 840's, even though ive only tested them without an amp, the bass just really doesnt seem to be there.

Even speaking on music that isnt bass heavy, for example i listened to a little soft jazz, the voices sounded pretty good, but when the instruments kicked in, they were really clear, but seemed to lack that "depth" in the sound from the lack of bass, even though this particular song wasnt really all that bassy.

Now translate that to say a Rock song which is bassy, and you really notice how lacking it is.

Just really trying to decide 1 of two things.

Will an amp solve my problems if i were to keep the shures

or should i go ahead and get another pair of cans (say the denons) along with an amp/dac

For sure - I think they have good bass. Some have said they think they start off with an overly heavy/loose bottom end, but for me it has been fine.

I listen to mostly pop/rock, acoustic guitar/newgrass, some jazz and classical - but I always start off my review of any new audio equipment with Steely Dan and Donald Fagan - and those sounded great on the Denon's

Though I have listened to them directly off my new PC's sound port - most of my listening comes off one of my stereo component systems - not a headphone amp - so others can comment on that.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #23 of 24
From what I have read, the 840's bass only gets tighter after burn in. An amp could definitely boost the bass, but not without making it sound artificial.

I would give the D2000s a shot if I were you.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Price Range: $200 + / -

Looking for a pair of headphones that are in the price range listed above
>>> I'm not sure if you can also consider IE as well.

I want to be able to use these with an MP3 player such as ipod or iphone and also a macbook (unamped), even though obviously the headphones will perform better with an amp (which i may do later down the line)
>>> If IEM is ok with you, UE700 is wonderful unamp.

As far as the music, i listen mostly to Rock (couple of my fav artists are shinedown, 30 seconds to mars, and red jumpsuit apparatus). I also listen to most other genres as well such as Acoustic Rock, Hip-Hop/R&B, Techno/Trance, Country, Jazz, and Classical, so i would like them to sound great with all of them, as if i am there with the music being performed live.
>>> UE700 shines with Rock, Country, Jazz, Classical, but I think it's not perfect match for Hip-Hop/R&B. It is great for guitar, piano, violin, bass and kick drum, basically it has no problem with most acoustics at all.

In regards to sound, I want to hear the music as it is meant to be heard. I want to really feel the bass, but don't want a set that is going to make me feel like a teenage kid is driving by my house with his subwoofer maxed out in his car where rediculous bass never stops at all. Bass should have a little tightness to it.
>>> Yup, bass is deep, punchy and tight.

Quality mids and highs are just as important so i can hear all those details in the music that you never get from most speakers, or cheap headphones for that matter.
>>> Mid is clear, high is brilliant.

Features i would like in the headphones other than great sound are comfort!!! and a detachable cable. Although the detachable cable isn't a deal breaker, it would be a great convenience. The sound staying in the phones and not blasting out of them for everyone around me to hear would also be a bonus, but also not a deal breaker, and the same goes for noise cancellation, also not a dealbreaker.
>>> Ahh, the cable is no detachable, but it's not dealbreaker anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

>>> Comfort is one of the best.

Would one of these sets fit my criteria better than the rest. I'm really open to suggestions, so if anyone knows of a better set that would work for what I am looking please enlighten me.

Thanks!

>>> Hope you like UE700, give it a try.

Oops, I jut realized you posted in Headphone (Full size) section, I guess you won't like the idea of IEM in this regards, sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back