Suggestions for good IEM earphones for <150?
Oct 31, 2007 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jessipoo

100+ Head-Fier
so I'm looking for some good earphones, in ear canal, passive noise cancellation.

This is my criteria
150 or less
good deep bass
good mid, clear enough
highs clean enough but not shrill

I'm a bit more bass oriented, I currently own Sony MDR-EX51 but it's time to upgrade.. and they're falling apart, as in the wire is breaking and stuff.

So I've done lots of research and have found the following 3 to fit my criteria more or less].
Super fi pro 5
UM2
Denon AH C700

So what are your suggestions and justficiations for other earphones or these ones I've found?

Thanks for the help!

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 6
look at futuresonics Atro M5 from roaddog online in ebay (dont worry, official retailer)

you can also get the Super.fi 5 EB for that kind of money from head-direct (look to the right in the head-fi sponsors section),

theres also the Danon C700 which is nice, but might go a bit over your target price,

about the UM2, its dual armature, sometimes dual armature is a bit weak of the bass, i suggest you audition them first,

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 6
Given your preferences, hard to go wrong with either Atrios M5s or SFPs. I had the Atrios but found it a bit too dark for me, so I kept the SFPs. But both are really good value for money IEMs.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 6
If you have big ears (canals and flaps) and like to listen loud, the SF 5 pro might fit you.

The Denon don't need to play loud to sound good, and online they can be found for the same price as the SF 5 pro.

I have had both, and ended up keeping the Denon. I even paid the full $199 retail at a local store after auditioning them, before I discovered head-fi, because I liked them too much to try to find an online discount.

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 6
I was set on the Super fi Pro 5 (because I think the EB may be overdone on the bass, I like bass but I still want to hear the other stuff..)

my only issue now is that I've read it's not made for small ears. We talking the canal or the actual ear?

because I"m using the small rubber tips from sony, and my ear is I guess average size but I suppose my canal is smaller than most?

if not I guess my closest bet would be the Denon, it doesn't come with a holder and I think I read their wires are weak (as in break easily)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back