Suggestions for gaming soundcard + closed gaming headphones (240$ Budget)
Apr 9, 2008 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

leoftw

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about the xtreme gamer and some hd280's but wanted to check here before I bought that set. Can you guys suggest something around the 250$ ballpark ?

I only play TF2 and don't listen to music on my PC so its strictly for gaming .

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 6
I actually wanted to get a Auzentech :p but don't know if I could find some 80$ headphones :p

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 6
I play tf2 too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say spend the most of that on headphones instead of the card. If you only play tf2, I wouldn't get an x-fi card. Those are usually recommended for gaming because they have the latest EAX support; TF2 has it's own sound engine, so that won't matter. I'd say get some headphones like DT880/ATH-A700/k701 and spend whatever you have left on a decent soundcard.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play tf2 too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say spend the most of that on headphones instead of the card. If you only play tf2, I wouldn't get an x-fi card. Those are usually recommended for gaming because they have the latest EAX support; TF2 has it's own sound engine, so that won't matter. I'd say get some headphones like DT880/ATH-A700/k701 and spend whatever you have left on a decent soundcard.

id say... the k701 might not be the best for gaming =P

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 6
you'd need an amp for the DT880's... though these would be pretty intense gaiming fons

ATH-A700, ATH-A900 sounds like a great pick,
the HD280's really disappoint me, I could only ever see using them except for monitoring in a recording studio vocal booth. The only decent thing about them is their isolation and mid quality, and for a plane/bus ride I would choose some inexpensive Shure IEM's over them anyday.
HD280's have no bass presence, brittle highs, and put lots of clamping pressure on your head.

but I agree w/ n3rdling, get the fons first then the card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back