Suggestions for "edgy" music blogs?
Mar 8, 2007 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone suggest a blog that covers new/edgy/innovative/creative/not everybody's cup of tea music? I'm pretty wide ranging in my tastes with the major caveat being that I HATE most of the stuff put out by commercial record companies. Some examples of what I like:
The Books
Deerhoof
Dianne Cluck
Grizzly Bear
John Vanderslice
Laurie Anderson
Sarah Dougher
The list goes on forever....

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm always on the lookout for blogs like this, but sadly there just don't seem to be too many. Outer Space Gamelan is a good one; here are a few others:

Avant Music News covers avant-garde rock and jazz, mostly, with a sprinkling of contemporary classical and other styles. It's purely a news blog though, not much in the way of commentary etc.

Outer Music Diary is a group listening blog in which three or four regular participants post thoughts on whatever they've been listening to lately. Skews towards progressive rock and post-bop jazz.

Free Jazz covers, well, free jazz. Mostly in an album-review format though.

And then there's my blog, where I write mostly about recent live concert experiences and sometimes about stuff I'm listening to lately, as well as whatever else comes to mind. I mostly listen to avant-rock, free jazz and improv, but there's also some pop, hip-hop, etc mixed in.

Anyone else got anything? I really feel like there should be more music blogs out there...

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Recently Pitchforkmedia has been the only music site I've been loading up regularly since they have a pretty good range on the music news they post (tours, break ups, new releases, stuff like that).

Other sites I used to be into and which I still check for reviews of albums in which I'm interested:

Stylus Magazine
Tiny Mix Tapes
Coke Machine Glow
Three Imaginary Girls
Brooklyn Vegan

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Gorilla vs. Bear

This blog seems to have a lot of stuff from independent music. I posted a Sparrow House video in this forum that I found on there sometime ago.

Funeral Pudding's blog

This blog seems to be updated frequently.

Lullabyes

I'm not too familiar with this one, I just downloaded some live Of Montreal stuff from it recently. It seems to have some good live recordings on it and they're linked with Gorilla vs. Bear so I'd thought I'd post it.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back