Suggestions for Dallas Head-Fi meeting?
Jan 20, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 24
You know, a funny thing happened last night. As you may know, I'm very new to this and was cleaning out an old junk drawer and found some headphones I had bought many years ago. I thought, "hum, I wonder if I would recognize the style number now that I'm a bit more educated". So I took them out and unfolded them (!) and my heart jumped when I read "Sony MDR-V6. Burried in a "junk" drawer all this time. I don't even remember buying them.

I've been listening to them all day. Now I'm really very attached to the sound of my Etys so at first I thought they sounded harsh or too bright in the high end. But the more time I spend with them, the more I like 'em. I still find myself going back to the Etys for reference, but it will be interesting to learn more about this one.

I don't know if we have any coming for the get-together, but I will bring them if not. I'd love to do some A/B with a switcher. This switching off, unplugging, plugging in and switching on again doesn't give me the comparison I want. Or maybe Flumps and Kelly could run a red clou down to University Blvd. and into my window. On second thought, mabye not. I'd really hate to be the one to have to tape all that cable down.

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 24
2nd no good. These are OK:

Sunday the 10th 5pm-later
Saturday the 16th noon-5pm
Sunday 17th anytime
Saturday 23rd noon-5pm
Sunday 24th anytime

I wonder if Headroom can send us any goodies to demo? We need to make a list of the stuff we will be bringing ourselves... and then make requests for anything that isn't covered. Hey, one can hope!

Personally, I've never heard any Grados from the 225, 325, RS-2, or RS-1 flavors. I'd also like to hear the Beyerdynamic DT831 since some closed cans are in my future. Haven't heard the AKG K501 either, but I'm curious.

As far as amplifiers are concerned, they were very good to send the Headroom Max and Cosmic portable last time. The Max didn't do anything for me because I'm not a huge fan of SS amps... although the Cosmic was definitely THE portable rig to beat! Unless sending a Wheatfield HA-2 is in order, there's not much I'd need to audition, amp-wise. Of COURSE the EAR tube amps are appealing, but I doubt I'd ever spend that kind of money on a tube amp. Well, maybe if I hit it big in the stock market.

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 24
Well, we're gonna have the Beyer 831s here for sure. That should be something a little different from the dominant senns...

Also, we'll have a corda and a cosmic. I might be workin' on getting some RS-1s (ugh, I don't have the money for this right now...), so Grados may be represented. I'll of course have my 555, melos, etys, akgs (there's somethin' different from last time).

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 24
If Headroom is kind enough to send anything, I'd love to hear either the Wheatfield or any of the new Max amps.

Does Jan Meier participate in any of this? It'd be nice to get to try the Analoguer and the Porta, I'll be bringing my HA-1 for sure.

Kelly

Jan 22, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 24
Now that I think about it, I wish we had the opportunity to sample more of the Beyers. I'd love to hear the 250, the 770 and the 931.

Just making a wish list.

Kelly

Jan 22, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #22 of 24
17th or24th would be best for me. That may give us some time to get Todd to send us some goodies to demo.

BTW--does 50 posts count for anything?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back