Suggestions for choose a summit fi
Nov 2, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 22
Should have started here.
You are likely not going to find what you are looking with planar or dynamics. Not without herculean effort and tube imparting.

You will find yourself in a tough spot with stats unless you shoot straight for the DIY T2 which can provide body and dynamics they otherwise lack with plastic limp.
The closest I can think to R10 with that blooming midrange, natural warmth and spatial presence is a Omega paired with DIY T2 and then the 007 mk 1 paired with Megatron.

Until you've heard the Susvara out of Primavera or Utopia out of a Stellaris and so on, you aren't bridging equivalent performance of a DIY T2.
An 009 or 9k with Carbon is going to leave you missing the musicality with gaps in dynamic response and impact.
Damn... tomorrow I'll go to buy the r10,after that I'll try it with my Leben and if I'll have other necessities I'll buy the omega (of course,selling my R10)

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #17 of 22
You seem to be after a proper Utopia chain.

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 22
First of all I want to thank you all for your answers
I want to tell you that I have tried almost all the TOTLs, so susvara, elite, Lcd 5, audeze CRBN,ecc..but for my tastes, hoping not to sin of humility, they did not and do not have that thing to be able to define a summit fi.
it is a matter of taste,what I am looking for is a revealing headphone with maximum transparency and majestic musically,and to make you understand my tastes, the susvara properly drived, in my opinion, still has a softness that makes me fall asleep, it lacks that dynamics.
For the R10,i think that the story about bio cellulose is a legend;the driver will not decompose (i open mine and modded it,and any driver show any physical degradation),but of course,suffer humidity.
Maybe it sound a strange to some of you, but the idea of having only one set with me,is as if I have an emotional bond with my headset, so for this reason I'm trying to search for the best possible;
and the qualia has size S, which is the hardest to find (joke lol, the a priori qualia is nowhere to be found)
what do I listen to? literally everything; from melodic to Italian metal, jazz, orchestra and soft rock.
p.s I do not follow the reviews of any YouTuber, not even Joshua, what I trust are the multiple reviews on headfi from various users

With this info, it probably shoots the R10 up to the top of the list then. But you've also already owned it, so I would just try to hear some of the others before buying it again just to confirm it's the right route to go. In terms of musicality and midrange realism & lushness, nothing is going to beat the R10, you just simply won't find it--but several others will beat it in ultimate transparency and resolution. These things just come at a cost of each other unfortunately, so in this hobby, "maximum transparency and majestic musicality" becomes a bit of an oxymoron.

If the Susvara is too polite, I would say steer clear of the x9000 or the Omega imo, as they are similarly polite in nature, although technically brilliant. Again try them if you can, but if you're settling on just one headphone and that's the description of what you're looking for, it's probably not them. But from a bass impact standpoint (which is typically a major concern for people in this regard, or one aspect of people ascribing "politeness" to a headphone, the R10 also falls short and probably behind all three. I would actually think the Susvara is a pretty good balance between all of the things that you're looking for, but ultimately I do agree that it has an overall more polite nature to it.

A properly powered MK1 definitely does sound like a good option for you as well. But it absolutely has to be powered well enough, a Blue Hawaii (which I had it with) just doesn't cut it, it nearly transforms out of a T2 (and I'm sure megatron and any other amp at that level). But again, it will lack some of the resolution of say the x9000/Omega--but a good compromise overall.

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #20 of 22
Well, yesterday i tried the x9000 and IMHO is stunning.
I tried it with a 8000 amplifier,and listening all genre,i felt a bit leaking dynamic on rock/metal tracks.
The 3D is exceptional,and detail retrieving in monstrous.
I think I'll go on the stax way..
My questions
Why should buy omega and not 9000,where is the main difference?
Exist a amplifier a bit more aggressive for 9000?

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #21 of 22
Utopia 2022. With EQ the LCD-5. The latest and greatest from ZMF. Or a used unicorn like a HFM HE-6 4 or 6 screw with the Code Six mod.

Love the 8000. My target these days. Have not heard the Stax 9000 as of yet.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 22
Well, yesterday i tried the x9000 and IMHO is stunning.
I tried it with a 8000 amplifier,and listening all genre,i felt a bit leaking dynamic on rock/metal tracks.
The 3D is exceptional,and detail retrieving in monstrous.
I think I'll go on the stax way..
My questions
Why should buy omega and not 9000,where is the main difference?
Exist a amplifier a bit more aggressive for 9000?

Yup, that describes the x9000 pretty accurately. Insane resolution and openness/staging, but a bit less energy/aggression for the genres that call for it. Imo, no amp is going to change that. It's more of a complement than a one and only, but most headphones are really.

I found the Omega a bit more natural in tone, although less resolving, but similar in openness and laid back presentation. I think you would really need to hear both yourself to decide. The older drivers are also a thing to consider, as with the R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back