You have to choose:
MDR R10
Sony Qualia 010
Otherwise sell all my gear and:
Stax omega + future properly ampli
Stax 9000 + future properly ampli.
My necessities..
The final desktop setup.
Until now i always used my headphones in mobility way;now it's time to dedicate a properly station.
Thank who will help me 😄

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 22
What do you listen to and is there someplace you can demo?

Stax is the end for many but I have heard them and spent my money on other headphones instead. Personal preference.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 22
What do you listen to and is there someplace you can demo?

Stax is the end for many but I have heard them and spent my money on other headphones instead. Personal preference.
I can demo tomorrow a 9000,while I owned a MDR r10 some months ago but i not drive them properly,just with a Hugo 2,so i didn't give the right justice.
Qualia would be a blind shop,the same for omega.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 22
Demo and then let us know what you think. I notice you've owned a lot of closed backs... but you're open to anything for a setup? There are sites and sometimes dealers that will take a deposit to send you gear to demo at home.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 22
Demo and then let us know what you think. I notice you've owned a lot of closed backs... but you're open to anything for a setup? There are sites and sometimes dealers that will take a deposit to send you gear to demo at home.

Until now I have lived at my parents' house and the needed to have a closed headphone was due to the fact that I did not have an adequate seat, now that I am going to live together the games change.
I did not exclude the R10 because in my opinion this headphone is sublime, I still never heard any better headphones until now, but the monkey to try other makes me doubt whether to take it back or not.
also the qualia I would really like to try, it would be a size S so it should adhere well on the head, I'm afraid more than anything else of its shade, according to many headfier, artificial compared to the sister R10

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 22
I keep different headphones for different moods and music. Half are open back, half are closed--some are planar, most are biodynamic. It's hard to go on people's recommendations... at some point, you just have to listen to as much as you can.

Where suggestions become helpful is if you say, I like X headphone but I don't love the midrange on it. Then you can get ideas on what might sound like X headphone but be better suited for you, or maybe a different amp, pads, etc. would make you like that headphone better.

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 22
Gleaming your preference, arrange a demo with Susvara and 007 mk 1. Then work the amplification chain.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 22
I would just double down on everyone's recommendation to demo as much as possible. All of those headphones are very unique, each with their own issues people have with them. And very few people have heard them all.

Also, I would think the answer would also really depend on what genre you listen to and overall what type of sound you're generally looking for.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 22
yeah you're gonna want to demo this stuff
the opinions here could lead you astray

you gotta build something that sounds good to you. And don't get opinions from YouTube. Especially Zeos.

If you go down this rabbit hole it never ends even when you think its over something new will come out and you will sell stuff and regret selling it.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 22
Definitely demo. Also, I'd avoid the R10 in general as it has drivers made out of a biocellulose that will eventually disintegrate and turn to goo. Not a good thing for a very expensive collectible. Unless you mean the ES-R10 replica, in which case you need to get in and order now, the production run is running out.

The Qualia is an interesting headphone and very fit dependent. IIRC they made them in 3 different sizes, and back in the day they'd mail you a little thingie you'd use to measure your head size, then they'd send you the right size headphone. With a used Qualia, this means you want to demo and make sure it's the correct size for you. If the fit is wrong, the sound will be too.

The Stax would be a safer buy, but you'd want to listen to them first and see if that's the sound you're after. Though you could get a KGSS Carbon and SR-007 and still fit into your budget and you wouldn't have to sell your gear. A good 007 mk1 in good condition would be a safer buy as it's tuned more warmly, but the new 007 mk2 is a bit more v-shaped in its tuning and is probably something you want to demo also. The 009 and x9000 of course are a different price category altogether.

Also demo the Audeze Carbon if you can, for some it's the endgame headphone out of all of them. But not for all.

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 22
First of all I want to thank you all for your answers
I want to tell you that I have tried almost all the TOTLs, so susvara, elite, Lcd 5, audeze CRBN,ecc..but for my tastes, hoping not to sin of humility, they did not and do not have that thing to be able to define a summit fi.
it is a matter of taste,what I am looking for is a revealing headphone with maximum transparency and majestic musically,and to make you understand my tastes, the susvara properly drived, in my opinion, still has a softness that makes me fall asleep, it lacks that dynamics.
For the R10,i think that the story about bio cellulose is a legend;the driver will not decompose (i open mine and modded it,and any driver show any physical degradation),but of course,suffer humidity.
Maybe it sound a strange to some of you, but the idea of having only one set with me,is as if I have an emotional bond with my headset, so for this reason I'm trying to search for the best possible;
and the qualia has size S, which is the hardest to find (joke lol, the a priori qualia is nowhere to be found)
what do I listen to? literally everything; from melodic to Italian metal, jazz, orchestra and soft rock.
p.s I do not follow the reviews of any YouTuber, not even Joshua, what I trust are the multiple reviews on headfi from various users

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 22
I have heard most of the totl headphones, too.

My preference over all was the Meze Elite and Final D8000 Pro. The Elite is not ultra revealing, but perhaps you might enjoy the D8000.

Solitaire P is another one worth looking at but I personally wouldn't buy it new.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 22
First of all I want to thank you all for your answers
I want to tell you that I have tried almost all the TOTLs, so susvara, elite, Lcd 5, audeze CRBN,ecc..but for my tastes, hoping not to sin of humility, they did not and do not have that thing to be able to define a summit fi.
it is a matter of taste,what I am looking for is a revealing headphone with maximum transparency and majestic musically,and to make you understand my tastes, the susvara properly drived, in my opinion, still has a softness that makes me fall asleep, it lacks that dynamics.
For the R10,i think that the story about bio cellulose is a legend;the driver will not decompose (i open mine and modded it,and any driver show any physical degradation),but of course,suffer humidity.
Maybe it sound a strange to some of you, but the idea of having only one set with me,is as if I have an emotional bond with my headset, so for this reason I'm trying to search for the best possible;
and the qualia has size S, which is the hardest to find (joke lol, the a priori qualia is nowhere to be found)
what do I listen to? literally everything; from melodic to Italian metal, jazz, orchestra and soft rock.
p.s I do not follow the reviews of any YouTuber, not even Joshua, what I trust are the multiple reviews on headfi from various users
Should have started here.
You are likely not going to find what you are looking with planar or dynamics. Not without herculean effort and tube imparting.

You will find yourself in a tough spot with stats unless you shoot straight for the DIY T2 which can provide body and dynamics they otherwise lack with plastic limp.
The closest I can think to R10 with that blooming midrange, natural warmth and spatial presence is a Omega paired with DIY T2 and then the 007 mk 1 paired with Megatron.

Until you've heard the Susvara out of Primavera or Utopia out of a Stellaris and so on, you aren't bridging equivalent performance of a DIY T2.
An 009 or 9k with Carbon is going to leave you missing the musicality with gaps in dynamic response and impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back