Suggestions for an open back on-ear/over-ear headphone that isn't TOO leaky
Mar 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

De1taE1even

New Head-Fier
I'm going to take a trip to the local Guitar Center this weekend to audition some headphones, but I wanted to ask the ever-knowing brain that is head-fi as well.

I work in a tall wall cubicle environment.  I don't care at all about external sound getting through to me.  My only concern is leaking a ton of sound so that the next cube over can hear it.  Does anyone have experience with some open-back cans that don't leak TOO much sound?  Obviously leakage is absolutely unavoidable in an open back design, but I have to believe that there are cans that aren't as bad as others.  If it helps at all as a reference point, I have a set of Grado SR80i's, and they leak too much (I do tend to listen to music at a fairly high level).

I'm looking for a set that can compare to my DT770's, with a wider sound stage and better mid presence.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 6
You should consider the Philips Fidelio L2

Best Luck!

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Ooh, I was specifically thinking about the Fidelio line. Good to hear they aren't too leaky. Do you know if the X2 is similar? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Ooh, I was specifically thinking about the Fidelio line. Good to hear they aren't too leaky. Do you know if the X2 is similar? Thanks!

Fidelio L2 is the safer pick, that's sure. That said Fidelio X2 should leak less than a Beyer DT880.

In terms of leaking:

Grado sr60i > Beyer DT880 > Fidelio X2 > Fidelio L2 > closed back headphones' territory

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Strictly talking about sound quality, Fidelio X2 should be clearly superior.

I used to own the Fidelio L1 and found it too dark and nasal, didn't like their treble response.
But the L2 is supposedly improved in every way over the L1.

Build quality is very nice.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Strictly talking about sound quality, Fidelio X2 should be clearly superior.

I used to own the Fidelio L1 and found it too dark and nasal, didn't like their treble response.
But the L2 is supposedly improved in every way over the L1.

Build quality is very nice.

Great, thanks. I'll try to find a place around here that carries them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back