Suggestions for a second pair of headphones
Aug 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nordan

New Head-Fier
Hey there Head-fi,

Just started getting into audiophile equipment a couple months ago, so I'll admit I'm still a newbie. I suppose I could afford to throw more money at this than I have been but I'm the "bang for the buck" consumer so I generally won't run out and buy the top of the line models until I know for sure I would appreciate it. I've started out with the HD650 and bought the Schiit Asgard, although it just shipped today as it's been on backorder for quite a few weeks. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak for this but yes, I've just been listening to the HD650's through a Yamaha receiver phone out with the source coming from a Realtek ALC889 (onboard) TOSLINK and FLACs coming from an music player with WASAPI out. I made quite a jump from some cheap Sony headphones though so I still think they sound great. I'm looking forward to listening to them on the Asgard, but in the meantime I've been thinking about getting another pair of headphones.

So I turn to you guys for suggestions. I'd prefer they be from people who own or have owned HD650's and enjoy their sound. I'm not unhappy with the 650's, I'd just like at least one other headphone of similar quality to compare music with. I like how I can listen to them nonstop for hours at pretty loud volumes and not get tinnitus or headaches when I take them off. I've been reading reviews on it and a lot of people say that "relaxed" listening is because of the "veil". Whatever it is, I like it and would prefer another pair that are as easy to listen on.

I mostly listen to instrumental rock, acoustic and electric blues, little bit of metal, and little bit of electronic. I paid $330 for the 650's new and wasn't planning on spending more than that for my second pair new or used. If you have other suggestions besides a second set of headphones for a different listening experience, I'm all ears :3 although from reading here I will admit that I'm a bit skeptical on the amount of difference DAC's, cables, and amps in the same price range can make.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 7
What exactly are you looking for in a second pair?  Something more aggressive and forward?  A more expansive soundstage?  There are several directions to chose from.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 7
I went off a suggestion from a friend and decided to buy a pair of 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880's. Seems nobody else besides you, maverickronin, had any suggestions for me.
confused.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 7
How do you like them in comparison?

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I went off a suggestion from a friend and decided to buy a pair of 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880's. Seems nobody else besides you, maverickronin, had any suggestions for me.
confused.gif

Those are really good cans and good job picking up the 600 ohm versions!
smile.gif

The AKG K701/2 (or I guess Q701s
tongue.gif
) would be a good complimentary headphone too.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I just got them today. I'll post a comparison review soon-ish although I think I should let them burn in.

I am all ears for your A/Bing between the Senn HD 650 and the Beyer Dynamic.  If you want a pair of decent HP for  daily usage and for relax non serious listening ,  I recommend the lowly JVC HARX700/ 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back