Suggestions for a recording of the Messiah
Oct 29, 2007 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stick

New Head-Fier
Hullo All

Pretty much what the subject says. I'm looking for a really good recording of the messiah. Also, I just ordered the Dark Side of the Moon SACD and Downward Spiral SACD from amazon, so I'm interested to know what people think of those.

Cheers
Stick

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 9
My wife was after a copy a couple of months ago so I did some review searches and came up with the recording by Hogwood with Emma Kirkby on L'Oiseau-Lyre: it's got a smaller orchestra and chorus than most contemporary recordings and is regarded as something of a classic "authentic" recording. Anyway, I can speak to its quality and she loves it.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 9
There are some good threads here with much info on favorite Messiahs:
Messiah

Of the widely available versions I would recommend:
1)Christie/Harmonia Mundi
2)Pinnock/Archiv
3)McCreesh/Archiv

Reasons are given in linked thread as well as other versions discussed.

I do have the Hogwood/Lyre also........an important reference as first original instrument Messiah and featuring radiant young Emma Kirkby, compared to versions above seems less flexible and flowing.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 9
About the best recorded and performed version out now is the Dunedin Consort and John Butt performing the original Dublin version of the Messiah. This even won a Gramophone Award this year. Available from Linn Records, you can download it in lossless files from the company's website.

The Hogwood version shows its age these days - indeed too inflexible, and a little rough. Authentic instrument playing has progressed a long way since those days.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 9
A really peppy (actually nice!) recording is by McCreesh + Gabrieli Players. Sure, maybe it doesn't take enough time in the beautiful movements, but it's actually exciting!

If you're looking for just the "masterly performances," there are a ton. The only one I didn't like was by Harnoncourt. The first chorus is gravely slow, which just in my opinion shouldn't take that much time. It's the glory of God being revealed. And in contrast, the "For unto us a child is born..." is extremely fast, even faster than McCreesh! It has its moments where he does appreciate the slower movements, but there are more consistent one's in my opinion.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hogwood version shows its age these days - indeed too inflexible, and a little rough. Authentic instrument playing has progressed a long way since those days.

You mean that we've arrived at a point that people playing on authentic instruments can actually make them sound inauthentic again?
tongue.gif
Good-oh!

My father was an authentic instrument nut from the early days of the movement, and a massive fan of Emma Kirkby, who we actually saw live performing The Messiah. I really hope that I didn't steer the OP wrong by recommending Hogwood, but I'll say this: there may be (even) better recordings out there, but I can't see any cause for complaint with that version and I think that it will always be regarded as an important recording.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 9
If you opt for the McCreesh, be sure to get the regular stereo version and not the SACD. For some reason, the SQ is better on the stereo.

Another great Messiah on period instruments is the Ton Koopman recording with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra, but that's getting harder and harder to find nowadays.

413db220dca0296d01062010.L.jpg

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Few months ago I had fallen prey to the Rene Jacobs hysteria and purchased his Messiah on Harmonia Mundi label, very elaborate box package with large booklet and 2CDs. The artwork chosen seems very mystical almost like masonic symbolism instead of traditional christian image......hmmmmm

The style is along the lines of McCreesh and Pinnock, but I have not fully absorbed this version so cannot say that it replaces any of my 3 favorite versions listed above, it is quite impressive by any measure and McCreesh fans will find it very worthy addition

31Wntp4qBVL._AA115_.jpg

Bunny.......it appears you have returned from your sabbatical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back