Suggestions for a portable beginner rig (<$175)
Feb 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

santiu

Head-Fier
Hey, i'm looking to buy a present for a friend. They don't know anything about headphones, or Hi-Fi for that matter, but they do like music, and they can appreciate good sound.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a portable setup for <$175? No IEMs. Source is an ipod nano. Either just headphones that'll work well straight from the source, or cheaper headphones + an amp. If i do headphone and amp, then the dock->line out dongle has to be in the budget too. No used stuff.

So far I'm thinking maybe HD580 from amazon + some cheap amp + some cheap dongle... but that's pushing my budget.

Maybe just a SR-60? Or a SR-60 with a GoVibe.

Suggestions please
biggrin.gif

thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 6, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 7
What kind of music do they listen to? To me, Grado's are perfect for rock, pop, and acoustic pieces while Senns work great with classical and other music that may demand better bass response or balance.

I see you have chosen open headphones. Since this is a portable rig, you might want to consider a closed headphone such as the Beyerdynamic DT770. I am not sure where he/she will be using it but that is something to think about.

Either way, I would recommend getting an amp with any of those choices, although it is not as essential with the Grado's as it will be with Senns and Beyerdynamics. However, there will be a noticeable improvement with an amp.

If closed/open wasn't an issue I'd go for the SR-80's + Go-vibe + line out adaptor (or mini to mini plug)

Feb 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 7
K81 DJ + cmoy + bling bling dock?

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 7
I'd say most music she listens to is pop, jazz, country, folk, oldies, R&B, soft rock, and alternative/indie rock (although nothing too hard).

Open/Closed is not a big issue. Looking for a portable rig, but more to be able to listen out in the garden, or in a park, or at the beach type portable rather than loud public places portable where sound leaking in or out is a concern. I'm leaning towards open, just because I personally like my open cans way more than my closed ones, but really I don't think it matters for this purchase.

Comfort is an issue, although it's so subjective I didn't mention it before. For example, my old SR-60s were probably the most comfortable headphones I've worn (stock flat pads), and I've seen many people here post that they think they are horribly uncomfortable.

EDIT: on the issue of comfort... she does wear earrings. Not having earrings myself, I don't know how it affects the issue of comfort, but i imagine it does.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 7
It's been said that the Go-Vibe has good synergy with the K81DJ. You can pick up a new GV5 for about $55, the K81DJ for about $60, and spend the rest on a nice line-out dock.

In hindsight, I'd advise you to ask yourself if your friend really likes music enough. IMHO anything bigger than an RSA Tomahawk or Xin Supermini IV (both out of your budget) will seriously kill the portability of the Nano.

If you want to really impress and don't want to hinder portability, you could get her something from Audio-Technica. The ES7 and EW9 come to mind, and should function great out of the Nano headphone out without an amp. Both also look fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back