suggestions for a pleasing low-budget shelf system
Sep 1, 2004 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stet

100+ Head-Fier
All other things being rosy, I'll soon be without a home system. And, if I want to listen to music besides on a portable, I will need to go budget. I'm about to move for the fourth time in 8 months, accounting for two states and three continents and an uncertainty about location in the not-too-distant future. That's all good.

But, the home is without a stereo. My girlfriend and I both have lost ours either through housemate attrition or fundraising sales, and our new apartment will have no music.
frown.gif

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pretty cheap yet decent sounding shelf system? CD, radio would be nice, under $175. The cheaper the better; we may be leaving the country again within a year, and we're not looking for something that we're gonna sweat about reselling. And actually, my girlfriend is not too picky about sound; I wasn't either until I started lurking the headphone and amp forums.
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 5
I believe that Tivoli and Cambridge Soundworks both have very compact systems that are not offensive to the ears. The build quality on both systems has varied at times, but they seem to be popular these days. TEAC also had some systems, but I don't know if they are still available. There is not much else at that price if you are including speakers.

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I think I auditioned that Onkyo minisystem, or at least an Onkyo minisystem very similar to it. From what I can recall - and this is by no means a critical evaluation - it sounded pleasing for the size.

I asked the sales person to swap the stock speakers for some PSB Alpha Minis, just to see whether the stock speakers were holding back some potential. The PSBs were which certainly an improvement over stock, which sounded "boxy" by comparrison. So yes, a good system which has some potential for upgrade for a little extra money.

Another line you could look at is Denon which I heard alongside some Yamaha minisystems. I did not like the Yamahas, but the Denons were cool (the were bundled with Mission bookshelf speakers) - but I think I preferred the Onkyo-PSB combo.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back