Mar 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BobStrauss

New Head-Fier
my current portable system is

ipod nano 2gen 2gb
phonak pfe iem
fiio e5
cheap lod

but all my music is in .flac format, and i only run lossless on my ipod. naturally this fills up my 2gb pretty quickly. so what i'm really looking for is a replacement for my nano that will

* provide a lot of capacity (gb)
* provide the best SQ possible

what kind of systems should i be looking into? perhaps a 5th gen ipod classic? again, my biggest concerns are capacity and SQ.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 11
8GB Fuze+16GB MicroSDHC, or, if that isn't enough capacity, still, a new Classic. At that point you'd just tell Foobar2k to transcode everything to ALAC and wait.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 11
The classic goes up to 120GB only and previously a 160GB model was also avilable (it is probably available as a refurbished product on the apple website). Note that it is possible to use FLAC directly on the 5.5G ipod through Rockbox but I don't think that the classic can be rockboxed...yet

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Actually if size is a concern and portability is to be maintained, you can't go wrong with the Sansa clip (max. of 8GB storage but suports FLAC).

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 11
how's this sound:

5th gen refurbed ipod video
240 gb memory upgrade (by rapid repair)
battery upgrade (again by rapid repair)
run rockbox to use FLAC files

wouldn't that be a perfect solution?

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobStrauss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's this sound:

5th gen refurbed ipod video
240 gb memory upgrade (by rapid repair)
battery upgrade (again by rapid repair)
run rockbox to use FLAC files

wouldn't that be a perfect solution?

Even better would be 5/5.5 gen iPod, iMod, 240 GB hdd (DIY), battery upgrade (DIY), rockbox, LOD

Or if you want to go the inexpensive route, broken 4th gen iPod off ebay, fix it up yourself, diymod, rockbox, LOD.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 11
I recommend a 32GB Touch. Great for music and good for lots of other things too. Fun.

Mooch

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use ALAC (apple's lossless). Its just as good as lossless.

Yes as good, i did the test the other day ALAC vs FLAC in foobar 2000.
Humm the ALAC had an tiny more bass note carry than the FLAC just like less than a second. :p thats pretty much the only difference to me on the same song... But i must say FLAC sounds better in foobar 2000 than ALAC, maybe it is the ALAC decoder not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back