Suggestions for a new pair of IEMs
Jun 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

metman

New Head-Fier
To get straight to the point, I am looking for something with a crisp, wide response and a shallow V sound signature, an in-line mic (in line controls for Android, if the manufacturer makes the distinction), above average build quality/durability, and good, but not air-tight sound isolation (I don't want to hear the guy hawking papers, but I do want to hear traffic and sirens).  I'd like to spend under $100, but I'd consider options up to $200-$250.  I wear them primarily on my commute (in and out of midtown Manhattan) and at work while listening to streamed or cached music from Google Play and Rdio, so I recognize there's a ceiling to how good anything can sound, and would rather not pay for performance I will never get to realize.

I've had a pair of UE 5 Pro's (before Logitech) which were probably my favorite headphones that I've owned, a pair of TS02s which I liked, a pair of RE0s which I liked well enough but was very disappointed with quality and customer service, and my current Phonaks which are in the process of dieing on me.  I was thinking of getting another pair of TS02s, but wanted to drop by here first to see what else is out there.  Any ideas?

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 8
I've been looking around and came across the Audio Technica CKM500iS.  They look like they might be pretty good for me, but I'm a bit concerned about how heavy people say they are on the low end.  I was also looking at Shure, but people seem to be pretty consistently unhappy with the in-line mic/control replacement cable they sell, especially for the $50 price tag.

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Stretch you budget and have a look at the T-Peos H200

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 8
It comes with 2 cables, one with a mic, one without.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 8
It's quite tempting, but I don't really want to spend that much.  Also, after my experience with HiFiMan, I'm a bit put off by foreign manufacturers that are hard to get a hold of.  They have a 3 year warranty which is nice, but getting my RE0s replaced was not in any way a positive experience, and I don't really want to have to deal with that again if something goes wrong.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 8
T-Peos are easy to get hold of, and have great customer service.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Sending money to a paypal account listed on a website written 1/2 in Korean to get a product from a company that can only be reached during business hours in a timezone offset by 13 hours does not in any way shape or form constitute "easy".  And they still cost more than twice what I really wanted to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back