Suggestions for a new IEM
Aug 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

adrenc94

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just want to ask for suggestions. My UE600 broke recently (the left side stops working) and I would like to look for one of the high end IEM as an upgrade instead of a replacement. So, can I please have any suggestions? There are no good earphone shops here where I live and I am going on a holiday trip in 2 weeks and I know there's a place in my destination which sells various types of IEMs. I currently have my eyes on either the Shure Se535 or Westone 4. And just another information, I will be using the phones to monitor the sound at my church (we have a basic set up where all instruments and mics are plugged into the mixer) as well since I am one of the audio technicians. So yeah, give me a suggestion and sorry for the broken English as it is not my main language.

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Etymotic Etymotic Etymotic
ER-4, HF5, or MC5
All very accurate and fairly priced.
Jim

Of these 3, the MC5 is the most un-like other Etymotic earphones, as an attempt at a non-BA driver.  It still sounds pretty Ety-like, but it doesn't have near the clarity and musical coherence of the HF5 and esp. the ER4. 

The HF5 and ER4 are pretty close to each other, and if the nearly $300 price of a new ER4 is hard to handle, the HF5 is nearly 90% of the ER4, and is extremely durable if well-cared for (like, don't leave it at the church for jr high kids to shove into their dirty little ears!).

I recommend the HF5 -- extremely accurate, clear and balanced sound.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback but too bad, I don't think I have those available in my country (I live in Malaysia!!). And just for the record, I have a around MYR1800+ budget cap (roughly $600). Any other recommendations? I know the shop sells IEM has Shures, Sennheiser, UE, Westone, Monster(only the chromes), Klipsch and yeah, those are about it. And as you can see, choices are fairly limited to me and as my parents doesn't trust online shopping (I need the credit card to make my purchase you see, and don't worry, I'll pay them back. Teehee. =P), I am only limited to shop through a real physical shop in front of me. LOL.

Thanks again.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback but too bad, I don't think I have those available in my country (I live in Malaysia!!). And just for the record, I have a around MYR1800+ budget cap (roughly $600). Any other recommendations? I know the shop sells IEM has Shures, Sennheiser, UE, Westone, Monster(only the chromes), Klipsch and yeah, those are about it. And as you can see, choices are fairly limited to me and as my parents doesn't trust online shopping (I need the credit card to make my purchase you see, and don't worry, I'll pay them back. Teehee. =P), I am only limited to shop through a real physical shop in front of me. LOL.

Thanks again.

You may be surprised to find the Etymotic line there...

Keep us posted.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back