Suggestions for a monitor engineer with artists on all different in ear monitors
Oct 8, 2014 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sharpegaz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am a monitor engineer that currently works with about four or five different bands some of the bands have all there members on the same in ears some have a few of the members on in ears and some are wanting to go on in ears, the issue I have is that some of the bands each member is on a different type of in ear.
So I was wondering in this situation do you go for the flattest response in ears so that you can deal with each bands different requirements without any coloration of the sound on the ears you are looking for? Or would you go for one of the better brands and take in to account th coloration?

Currently one band on all acs in ears and they hate them and I have them for listen and also hate them, and both the band and myself have had nothing but problems with them breaking failing mid set etc etc.

One band has members on jh16 ue18 ue11 and acs t1

Some of the bands do not have the budget to rebuy items for each member to match unfortunately.

So I am after a mid ground and not wanting to waste my cash on something bad I will regret like my acs t1s again, but can budget for up to £1,500 so about $2,000.

The choices I have come down to myself are withers:
JH13/16
1964 v6 or v8
Sensaphonic 2
Ue18s
Read audio duals
Or cosmic ears

So my basic question is would you go for flat response? Or the best audio sound and account for coloration?

And if so what of those models would you go for?

The reason I have narrowed it down to those manufacturers and brands is when I work as monitor systems tech I take the time to chat to the engineers and artists about there items and there experiences and they have all been the most positive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 9
The demo models are only avalible to the usa it says.
Thankyou for your input may i ask why you would suggest those two models please? Thanks

Sound engineers usually use neutral headphones or something close to it to get the perfect mix. The problem with colored headphones is that it might sound good to you, and other people with the same headphone as you, but for people with a different sounding headphone it might sound bad.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi Sharpegaz. Having many models to mix for is a common problem on a lot of stages. In my many years of experience and in discussions with monitor engineers for many bands, the recurring answer is, overwhelmingly, to get a set of flat-response IEMs.

In short: Start with the truth.

This approach allows the engineer to adjust consistently for variations across IEMs and the hearing/personal preferences of each artist. It's something I hear time and again in my interviews with engineers.

For your situation, I suggest the Sensaphonics 2X-S or 2MAX. They share the same drivers and are optimized for a neutral, reference-style sound signature; the 2MAX is optimized for use with RF systems (basically, it gets louder faster at low input gains). They are also well within your budget. (As an MOT, I am not permitted to comment on competitors.)

I also recommend working with a company that designs its products for the rigors of the road. That is an ability born of experience, and keeping those IEMs fully operating is kind of important.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back