Suggestions for a Fostex T50RP Build
May 19, 2015 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thezfunk

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I was in the market for a new set of headphones and was looking to spend less than $300 for a closed headphone.  I had finally decided to either get an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or an AKG K550 but then I started reading about the Fostex T50RP and how you can mod it to get a great headphone. I love planar-magnetic speakers and I have always wanted a headphone that utilizes that technology but those are usually very expensive options out of my budget range.  I checked out some places that sell a modded T50RP headphone. 

Mr. Speakers
Mayflower Electronics
ZMF Headphones

It seems I can get a set from any of those retailers that fit my budget.  Then I started reading about the mods and how they can be done on your own.  I love modding projects and I began to think of how much more I will get out of the process if I do it myself.  Not to mention, it would allow me to hear a stock T50RP and then change it to match my taste, exactly. 

So, I see I can get the headphones off of Amazon for ~$120.  Mayflower Electronics has a ~$20 mod kit that comes with most mod materials from what I can tell.  The thing that I am wringing my hands over are the ear pads.  There are quite a few options.  I can order the ones from Mr. Speakers, Mayflower Electronics, ZMF Headphones or the Brainwavz.  I am sure there are other options as well.

Thoughts, suggestions or anything I am missing?

May 20, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 3
Probably worth mentioning MrSpeakers has all of the T50RP-based modded headphones they make on sale right now, since they're discontinuing them.

There's a lot to modding. Check out the this thread for some info, too - mainly in the replies. Probably a good place to ask, too.

May 20, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 3
  Hello,

I was in the market for a new set of headphones and was looking to spend less than $300 for a closed headphone.  I had finally decided to either get an Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or an AKG K550 but then I started reading about the Fostex T50RP and how you can mod it to get a great headphone. I love planar-magnetic speakers and I have always wanted a headphone that utilizes that technology but those are usually very expensive options out of my budget range.  I checked out some places that sell a modded T50RP headphone. 

Mr. Speakers
Mayflower Electronics
ZMF Headphones

It seems I can get a set from any of those retailers that fit my budget.  Then I started reading about the mods and how they can be done on your own.  I love modding projects and I began to think of how much more I will get out of the process if I do it myself.  Not to mention, it would allow me to hear a stock T50RP and then change it to match my taste, exactly. 

So, I see I can get the headphones off of Amazon for ~$120.  Mayflower Electronics has a ~$20 mod kit that comes with most mod materials from what I can tell.  The thing that I am wringing my hands over are the ear pads.  There are quite a few options.  I can order the ones from Mr. Speakers, Mayflower Electronics, ZMF Headphones or the Brainwavz.  I am sure there are other options as well.

Thoughts, suggestions or anything I am missing?

Modding the T50RPs is a very good idea. bluemonkeyflyer has created a wonderful thread that will take you through the steps of modding and measuring your mods. http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

He is extremely helpful and so are the people on the thread.

Also, take a look at this Head-fi wiki that contains links and descriptions for various mods.
http://www.head-fi.org/a/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links-wiki

Users who are viewing this thread

Back