Suggestions for a DIY Headphone Amp for my Computer
Nov 2, 2001 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DelayedReactionM

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to the audiophile world, but I've always enjoyed music and decided to take the plunge. I managed to snag a pair of HD-590's, and now I figure an amp would do nicely. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a problem. I'm in college. And poor. So I figure I would give wiring my own amp a shot.

Some info...
A) This is solely for use inside my computer. This means I can leech off the internal power supply (330W Enermax PS).

B) My sound card is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

I've lurked around the forums some and checked around headwize and whatnot, and I was just curious as to any suggestions on where to begin. Ultimately I would prefer to make a reasonably high quality amp, but if I need to try some lower stuff first to get my feet wet I would understand.

So, any recommendations? Design tips, sites to go to, components I should look into, reasons I should just buy one, etc?

Thanks for your time.

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Check out the libraries at www.headwize.com bunch of things waiting to be learned.

Anyways, you could get something out of that 12V power (iirc) from each jack in a computer... try building an Apheared 47 amp, it would do very nicely.

Nov 2, 2001 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 5
aren't computer power supplies of the switching variety? switching supplies aren't quite optimal for audio use, but i suppose it'll suffice. and i'm not too sure how much the 590's will benefit from low gain and the extra current the 47 can deliver. it should do fine with the normal cmoy pocket amp, and perhaps better filtering on the power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back