Suggestions for a desktop amp to use with AKG K701?
Jun 21, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

XEN

New Head-Fier
As the title says, I'd really like some suggestions for a good desktop amp that would bring out the best in the K701. However, within a budget
wink.gif

I'd be happy to spend around £100 ($200) max, and I don't mind buying used.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Also, I'd like to know weather you think it's worth waiting to buy a DAC or to buy a cheaper combined unit, as I don't have the money for an amp and dac atm.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 16
^

I was going to post that yesterday, but wanted to wait for someone else to say it first. Anyway, if I were you, I'd save up at least $500 first. It's best not to risk wanting to upgrade within the first five minutes.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 16
Haha, okay. Thanks for the honest advice.

Are there any amps in that price range that could drive the DT880 or is it just not an option to spend that little on an amp for higher end gear?

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 16
If you would consider it an investment for something to use until you can get a proper amp, then give anything a shot. If you can find a tube amp, the 701s sound a bit warmer that many prefer. Type in your budget number in the f/s amp forum and see what comes up.

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 16
Don't be afraid to try some integrated amps, especially used ones in thrift stores and pawn shops. Most of the high end brands like NAD, Creek, amongst tons of others have pretty damn good headphone outs that will have enough power to drive K701s to a decently high percentage of their possible SQ.

Jun 22, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixcinater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be afraid to try some integrated amps, especially used ones in thrift stores and pawn shops. Most of the high end brands like NAD, Creek, amongst tons of others have pretty damn good headphone outs that will have enough power to drive K701s to a decently high percentage of their possible SQ.

I use the HP out of a Denon receiver as my "home" setup, and it's not that awful.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 16
A $200 amp that will do a good job driving the 701s is not out of the question if you are willing to buy used. I just sold a CI Audio VHP-1 for $200 shipping included that I think does a good job with the 701s. Keep searching the for sale forum and you just might find something suitable in your price range. If you can spring for another $100 then the Little Dot MKIV, if you like tubes, or MKV, if you prefer solid state, would do a great job with the 701s.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 16
We've been modifying a Xiang Sheng 708B for my AT ATH901pro 'phones, but we're also testing them with 701's, plus a pair or earlier Sennheisers. Not sure if this is your plan (DIY), but you could probably nearly get there for £100 depending on the cost of the box.

The major improvements were from the tube upgrades (new 5670 and matching Toshiba 6DJ8's), some new resistors and a batch of better 0.22uF caps (some in the circuit and some as bypass). Adding an $8 Blue ALPS volume pot, a cross-feed circuit and a pair of big output caps puts the upgrade path at about $80.

My friend who is doing the work found that he can now listen to the 701's all day without fatigue - and I like it also...

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 16
I saw an older Headsave PPA in the FS threads that would drive your k701 well. I think its about $20.00 over your budget. I have the k701 and use a PPAv1 and they sound great to me. Prior to the PPAv1 I used a modded Musical Fidelity xcan v2 and I think the PPAv1 was a big upgrade. I am not associated with the seller, I just know that the amp will pair well with your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back