Suggestions for a DAP in $400 range? (New user)
Jan 16, 2017 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DAPsHurtWallets

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the site and to this level of audio fidelity. Really, I'm just interested in getting my feet wet and learning more about audio in general. However, the amount of info available is a bit overwhelming, and I'm a hands-on type of learner - I need to experience it to fully understand it.

With that being said, any recommendations for a DAP within a $400 budget? As far a sound preferences go, I think I like brighter sounding hardware better - definitely want to stay away from bass-heavy stuff. I listen to a lot of power/symphonic type of metal and have started investing in symphonic music on blu-ray. The set of headphones I currently have are Audio Technica ATHRE700 (portable use) and ATH-AD700 (home use).

Also, I do not care much for streaming services. I buy physical copies of albums, rip them to FLAC, and then transfer them to whatever devices I use for music. Right now, my library is at 32GB in size, growing at a steady pace. +1 to any devices that get along well when connected to a Linux-based computer, too.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 6
I've been using a theBit Opus#1, which has been $400 w/ a leather case recently. Quite liking it, relative to other sources I have used I would say it is on the more neutral/bright side

I haven't used them but the iBasso DX90, Pioneer XDP-100R also s at this price seem well liked. Plenty of well regarded cheaper stuff too like the new Aune M1s, Sony Walkmen (new A30 series, A10,A20) xDuoo x3, Hidizs AP100, Shanling M1, M3

If i can offer some adjacent advice- Suggest putting some thoought into what sort of UI experience you can tolerate since a lot of enthusiast oriented devices tend to have rather rudimentary UI (for instance the Opus) or limited functionality- often outright unfinished/feature incomplete.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 6
So, I have just learned of the Shanling M5 - and it is currently priced at $450; just out of the $400 range, but I do not mind making a $50 exception.  Any thoughts on it versus the other three?  So far, I have learned that the M5 and x7 only have 1 SD card slot, and the M5 is the only non-touchscreen of the three.

In the meantime, I will continue with more of my research.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 6
I have been interested in trying that one, but from what I have read its reputation is as a warmer sounding source- whether you will find that to be the case really depends on what sources you are used to though.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 6
Okay, so now I am learning about the Cayin i5, and there seems to be a lot of rave that it is the best mid-fi DAP out there right now - but it's $500. At this point, I am deciding between the i5 and the #1.

The i5 has wi-fi and bluetooth, and the #1 has an extra SD card slot and balanced output. Because of the features the #1 has over the i5, I am leaning towards that. I just wonder if the $400 price tag wilk stay on the #1; I may hold off purchasing until I get my tax return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back