Suggestions for a Budget Speaker System
Oct 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shozzking

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to replace my crappy $40 logitech speakers (no bass until i turn it up loud enough for the speakers to distort and sound terrible) with something thats quite a bit better. I pretty much exclusively listen to EDM (house and trance) music so I'd prefer something with decent bass. This system will be used in my dorm room for parties and just casual listening. My computer has an Asus Xonar sound card, so that isn't an issue at all. Here's what I've found so far:
  1. Pioneer SP-BS21 speakers ($100)
  2. Dayton DTA-100a Amplifier ($160)
  3. I am entirely unsure of what subwoofer I should get
Other than the subwoofer then I'm pretty sure that I have everything that I should need. If you have any suggestions for something else that I should get then please go ahead (it must be from a Canadian store or some place that ships to Canada) and I'd prefer that everything stay as cheap as possible (max budget of $400).

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Check out studio monitors for the price they beat a separates system, as many people have discovered.

Not necessarily just studio monitors, strictly speaking (ie, pro audio brands); some similar speakers - standmount/bookshelf-size MDF cabinets, maybe bi-amplified, etc - are out there. Like Swan's D1080MkII 08 and the M200MkIII. Picked up my Swan D1080MkII 08 this past week from the dealer, still breaking them in. Almost cancelled my order because of medical expenses, but I didn't want the distributor to feel audio hobbyists are picky and finicky so I pulled out cash from my other emergency fund. I hooked them up to my laptop and every doubt about the expense disappeared halfway into the first track - I've stopped missing my old, bulkier NAD304+Wharfedale Pacific Evo 10 set-up. Will write a detailed review after about a thirty hours on them; my old Diamond 8's break-in period was somewhere around twenty two hours (at which point it switched to the next track and sounded fuller, switched back and yeah it wasn't the recording).

BTW look into the S3W too; almost picked that up instead due to the medial expenses mentioned above, but while I thought it was good for the money thanks to the clean midrange, I thought I might as well avoid upgraditis now, save for an Android-compatible USB DAC when I save up enough.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Would you suggest any specific models?

Which Xonar sound card do you have?

Parts-Express sells some Dayton Audio 2.1, a setup is about $160 for 2 speakers, sub-woofer and a Lepai amplifier. which seems well liked for the price.

Otherwise just get a nice 2.0 powered speaker setup, like the Audioengine A2s
I've never used Dayton Audio or Audioengine, both have their fans.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Which Xonar sound card do you have?

Parts-Express sells some Dayton Audio 2.1, a setup is about $160 for 2 speakers, sub-woofer and a Lepai amplifier. which seems well liked for the price.

Otherwise just get a nice 2.0 powered speaker setup, like the Audioengine A2s
I've never used Dayton Audio or Audioengine, both have their fans.

I have the Xonar DX. Do you have a link to that kit?

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I have the Xonar DX. Do you have a link to that kit?

Xonar DX, comes with a good DAC chip (CS4398).

Check with the people at Parts Express, they might have better recommendations
Dayton Audio speakers B652
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-652
Dayton Audio Sub-800
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-627
Lepai 2020a+ amplifier
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Check out studio monitors for the price they beat a separates system, as many people have discovered.

Really? Because my experience has been different. 

To the OP: Studio monitors are not for everyone. They have very neutral sound for mixing. And as we can see here on head-fi, neutral phones are not always the most popular. As for powered desktop monitors, they have different sound signatures. Someone might like one brand better than alternative passive speakers, and vice versa. 

Also, every time you upgrade, you have to sell your electronics and your speaker--and you will lose money on both. Whereas if you start off right, you might find you only have to replace your speakers when you upgrade with a passive setup.

So unless you need the compact, everything in one package of the powered monitors, you are no better off going with them. 

You can get a better receiver over that Dayton amp by looking on the used market.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back