Suggestions for a better amp/dac ($500-1000 and under)
Oct 31, 2014 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

m50man

Head-Fier
Hey guys.  I recently acquired some AKG K712 pro's.  They are outstanding so far and they haven't 'burned in' for more than a couple hours so I expect they will just get even better. Right now I am using a FIIO E17 to power the phones through my computer (as a dac and amp) and occasionally I take it portably to power my iPod.

However, I am not really satisfied with the the FIIO E17 to power these headphones.  It seems to work pretty well to power my ATH m50's, but not quite as well on the 712's.  I have to set the gain to +12db (there is 3 options, 0, 6, and 12) and then it sounds pretty good with some oomph but the soundstage and clarity isn't the best.  Most of the music I listen to is EDM and rock/metal so a nice bass response is definitely important to me, however I would like something with great clarity/soundstaging/openness to take advantage of these cans as well and I do listen to other types of music as well..

So I have done some more research and I have narrowed down my "wants" to give you guys a better idea of what I am looking for.  I think I am looking for a higher quality desktop solution and I am going to keep my E17 for portable solution.  I don't think the low end sub 500 all in one solutions will really give me a noticeable upgrade on the quality/soundstaging/detail end of the E17. So I would be okay spending around $1000 if it was really going to be give an upgrade on sound quality. 

What I have looked at so far is:  Oppo Ha-1... Lyr2 + Bifrost combo... Asgard 2 + Bifrost combo.... Wa-7 Fireflies by Woo-Audio is EXTREMELY intriguing.

What do you guys think?

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 9
The Asgard 2 + Bifrost combo would be great in my opinion. Does your computer have optical S/PDIF or coaxial S/PDIF out? If your computer just has USB, I would say skip the Bifrost and just grab a USB Modi to go with the Asgard 2. I have heard this very combo with the AKG K70x myself, and it sounded very nice.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 9
I have really loved my Nuforce Icon HDP»

it has a low noise floor when I am driving my IEMs. I don't have to go much over noon on the volume knob to run my Denon D2000's. It has USB in, optical in, digital coax in, analog in and a really nice set of analog out. It's a really great value considering the MSRP is $449 and you can likely find it out there for less.

My only gripe with it is the power supply, which isn't built in and isn't a wallwort, but similar to a laptop charger. It's just a lot of charger compared to such a compact DAC/AMP.

EDIT: There is a replacement for the Icon HDP (Discontinued), the Icon DAC», pretty much the exact same thing, but with an MSRP of $299.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 9
I will have to check when I get home about my computer's audio outputs.  

I should also note that I am looking for great detail and soundstaging first and foremost, and a good low end would be an added bonus.  Also, I would be willing to stretch my budget if the quality could be justified.

What about higher end options like the Oppo Ha-1 Dac+Amp?   Also intriguing is the Woo Audio Wa7 fireflies unit but I worry that I will not be fully happy with the DAC abilities of the unit...

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 9
That looks awesome, but very expensive and out of my price range I think.

I am trying to decide between:

1) purchasing a Schiit Gungnir for my DAC - I hear it is a phenomenal DAC for the price + then purchasing a separate amp (Lyr 2, asgard 2, etc... or another brand from Schiit entirely for the amp component)

2) an all in one dac + amp (something like a Wa7 fireflies unit by Woo Audio, with the upgraded power supply and upgraded tubes).

What will get me the better quality?

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 9
  That looks awesome, but very expensive and out of my price range I think.

I am trying to decide between:

1) purchasing a Schiit Gungnir for my DAC - I hear it is a phenomenal DAC for the price + then purchasing a separate amp (Lyr 2, asgard 2, etc... or another brand from Schiit entirely for the amp component)

2) an all in one dac + amp (something like a Wa7 fireflies unit by Woo Audio, with the upgraded power supply and upgraded tubes).

What will get me the better quality?

I don't think the K712 works with balanced amps, so I see no point with getting a Gungnir for it.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 9
  I don't think the K712 works with balanced amps, so I see no point with getting a Gungnir for it.

You are correct.  

But the Gungnir has not only the balanced outputs, but all of the other necessary outputs, including the RCAs to plug into the Lyr 2.  And from what I have read, it is simply their best DAC in terms of sound quality, particularly compared to the Bifrost.  I don't mind spending $ to get the better quality.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 9
  You are correct.

But the Gungnir has not only the balanced outputs, but all of the other necessary outputs, including the RCAs to plug into the Lyr 2.  And from what I have read, it is simply their best DAC in terms of sound quality, particularly compared to the Bifrost.  I don't mind spending $ to get the better quality.

Or you can just get the Bifrost Uber which has the same analog stage as the Gungnir at $320 less.  If you plan on getting balanced headphones in the future the Gungnir might be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back