Suggestions for 500$ headset with good bass
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 31
Some good suggestions above. If you are considering running straight out of PC without external amp and are looking at something open, an X2HR might be kind of fun. Not sure where on earth you are located, but the X2HR is currently available on amazon at a super-duper good deal. Another closed option I would add to the no-amp approach is the M-100--pretty solid bass, IMO. On the needs-an-amp side of things, you might look into a DT1990 and see what you think. It could conceivably work, depending on what you pair with it. It's a bit over budget but you might be able to find one at your number.

Thanks for the reply. I will look at your suggestions.

Regarding DT1990, I can extended my budget and get them if you think they are worth it.
What good amp goes fine along with DT1990?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 31

Thanks for the reply.
I can buy all these stuff easily.

Since you added a microphone, does that mean these can be used for gaming?

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #19 of 31
Thanks for the reply. I will look at your suggestions.

Regarding DT1990, I can extended my budget and get them if you think they are worth it.
What good amp goes fine along with DT1990?
Somewhat like the HD650, in my opinion, the DT1990 does seems to scale nicely with better amplification. So, tragically and as is so often the case here on Head-fi, upgrading your amp and DAC down the road from whatever you ultimately get at your current budget will very likely reward you handsomely. Just keep that in mind. That said, with the budget you've offered, I personally would look at a Liquid Spark, for a variety of reasons. The Magni 3 and Atom are also good, but for your situation, I do like the Spark. As for the DAC, a Modi 3 is a pretty good start at its price, though, if you were able to stretch a bit, the Modi Multibit is, in my opinion, a significant upgrade. It is $150 more though. There are other options in this price range, but the Schiit is well-built, offers value, is upgradable, and has a track record.

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 31
im definitely gonna get flack from this comment but thats not my intention. i personally found bass on sennheiser cans in general to be lacking.
Generally speaking,yeah I kinda agree,but....Try to get your hands on a pair of the old HD250. Killer bass. You will change your opinion of Sennheiser and bass.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #21 of 31
Generally speaking,yeah I kinda agree,but....Try to get your hands on a pair of the old HD250. Killer bass. You will change your opinion of Sennheiser and bass.
I'm always open to having my mind changed.
I think it may be extremely difficult to find a good pair of 250's, do you think maybe the 280's would be a "spiritual successor" ?

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #22 of 31
Thanks for the reply.
I can buy all these stuff easily.

Since you added a microphone, does that mean these can be used for gaming?

With all of the quoted aforementioned devices together, it will work for gaming on at least Windows 10, as it accepts DACs and mics separately.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 31
I'm always open to having my mind changed.
I think it may be extremely difficult to find a good pair of 250's, do you think maybe the 280's would be a "spiritual successor" ?
Yeah its not an easy headphone to find. The one pair on eBay has been on there for over a year. Too much $.

I havent heard the HD280,so I cant say.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #24 of 31
Joining in a little late to the discussion but can add a few things if you don’t mind. As others have said the 660,600 and 650 are not what you would call bassy headphones the bass is good but not what a basshead would pick. It has been a while since I’ve heard a Nighthawk but I just found them way to dark for me but like I said has been a while and haven’t heard the Nightowls. The V-Moda M100’s aren’t real horrible but I think they might get uncomfortable after a bit I didn’t hear them that long. Then on the the Meze 99 Classics I think is a very good headphone and it does do a good job at bringing the bass. I have the original version and have not heard the other pads but it seems most prefer the original pads. Just so you know they are very close to being on ear headphones as the pads are pretty shallow and if you are one of those that can’t stand anything touching your ears then they won’t be for you but I can wear them for hours and have on a few occasions. If you want some bass then I think the Fostex TR-X00 Mahogany is the place to look. Fairly easy to drive and still can kick it up a notch with a bit more power these bring the bass. They are a bit more V shaped than the Meze but if you want a bit of bass slam they will bring quite bit more than the Meze. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #26 of 31
Running headphones out of a PC isnt my strong suit. Perhaps @PurpleAngel can make some suggestions. Not all soundcards put out the same,so again,I cant say for sure how they will sound.
The first four options are all pretty easy to drive. The Atticus def needs an amp being 300-Ohms.
The Gigabyte Z370 gaming 7 motherboard comes with Realtek ALC1220 and an ESS9018Q2C DAC chip (and Creative Labs 720 software),
so plugging headphones directly into the motherboard is not a bad option.
Better to spend a lot of the audio budget for the headphones, then the DAC/amp.

The Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X (150-Ohm) headphone is a good budget option.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #28 of 31
Fostex Th-610?

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #29 of 31
The Gigabyte Z370 gaming 7 motherboard comes with Realtek ALC1220 and an ESS9018Q2C DAC chip (and Creative Labs 720 software),
so plugging headphone directly into the motherboard on a bad option.
Better to spend a lot of the audio budget for the headphones, then the DAC/amp.

The Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X (150-Ohm) headphone is a good budget option.

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I will put the full budget on the headset itself, and another 200$ for amp/dac.

I have a noob question:
Do these amp/dac plugged directly to the pc via USB?

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 31
Thanks for the reply.

In this case, I will put the full budget on the headset itself, and another 200$ for amp/dac.

I have a noob question:
Do these amp/dac plugged directly to the pc via USB?
yes, they can or you can use a Toslink digital optical fiber cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back