Suggestions for 500$ headset with good bass
Sep 16, 2019 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Tiztoz

New Head-Fier
I am using my gaming headsets for listening to my music. I have Hyperx revolver and Logitech G pro X. I know nothing about audiophile headsets.

I want to buy a headset specifically to enjoy music from my pc. I have a budget of 500$ for the headset itself, and I really like bass in headphones.

1- I am thinking of Sennheiser 660s/HD650 because of their good reviews although I know nothing about them , or do you have another recommendations.

2- What DACs or amplifiers or sound cards (budget of 200$) should I buy so that I can maximize my experience with my motherboard (gigabyte Z370 gaming 7) ?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 31
I may get a lot of flak for this suggestion. Try the Nightowls or Nighthawks from Audioquest, allegedly more and better bass than the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony; when they arrive I'll let you know. From my investigation, some of the best bass headphones have wooden cups; something, something resonance, so try looking for headphones with that archetype.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 31
Meze 99 Classics-below budget
Taction Kannons-at budget
Drop x Fostex-TR X00-near budget
Campfire Cascade-above budget
ZMF Atticus-double budget

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 31
Do you know whether you want a closed-back headphone or an open-back one? The open-back options will leak sound much more than the closed, so they really aren't portable. That said, open headphones generally offer a higher overall level of listening performance dollar for dollar when compared against (a comparably priced) closed option. But you like bass and generally speaking, closed headphones offer better bass performance. There are exceptions, though. It would help narrow things down if we knew whether you were thinking more open or closed.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 31
Do you know whether you want a closed-back headphone or an open-back one? The open-back options will leak sound much more than the closed, so they really aren't portable. That said, open headphones generally offer a higher overall level of listening performance dollar for dollar when compared against (a comparably priced) closed option. But you like bass and generally speaking, closed headphones offer better bass performance. There are exceptions, though. It would help narrow things down if we knew whether you were thinking more open or closed.

I will use them at home, so even if they leak audio, it is not an issue.
I want the better quality regardless of being open/closed.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 31
I may get a lot of flak for this suggestion. Try the Nightowls or Nighthawks from Audioquest, allegedly more and better bass than the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony; when they arrive I'll let you know. From my investigation, some of the best bass headphones have wooden cups; something, something resonance, so try looking for headphones with that archetype.

Thanks for the reply.

If you have specific name please let me know so that I can investigate.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 31
Thanks for the reply.

I will check them up. Regarding my second point, do I have yo buy amp/dac.. Or my pc will go fine with them?
Running headphones out of a PC isnt my strong suit. Perhaps @PurpleAngel can make some suggestions. Not all soundcards put out the same,so again,I cant say for sure how they will sound.

The first four options are all pretty easy to drive. The Atticus def needs an amp being 300ohms.

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 31
Running headphones out of a PC isnt my strong suit. Perhaps @PurpleAngel can make some suggestions. Not all soundcards put out the same,so again,I cant say for sure how they will sound.

The first four options are all pretty easy to drive. The Atticus def needs an amp being 300ohms.

Thanks again for the reply.
The Atticus is a no for me because of the price.

If @PurpleAngel can help me regarding my second point that would be great.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 31
Some good suggestions above. If you are considering running straight out of PC without external amp and are looking at something open, an X2HR might be kind of fun. Not sure where on earth you are located, but the X2HR is currently available on amazon at a super-duper good deal. Another closed option I would add to the no-amp approach is the M-100--pretty solid bass, IMO. On the needs-an-amp side of things, you might look into a DT1990 and see what you think. It could conceivably work, depending on what you pair with it. It's a bit over budget but you might be able to find one at your number.

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 31
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 31
im definitely gonna get flack from this comment but thats not my intention. i personally found bass on sennheiser cans in general to be lacking.

if you want good bass, maybe check out Sony. for that money you could find a used Sony Z7m2 no problem. and the Bass is good on it.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 31
The Meze 99s are the best headphones I've ever heard for bass. They are outstanding.
even over your hifiman Sundara? thats... not believable. i found the sundara had much much better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back