Suggestions for 2.1 setup? budget $200 US
Oct 6, 2010 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hbfs

New Head-Fier
I don't know much about speakers, so I'm open to suggestions, but please include an explanation of why you're suggesting them along with a description. I'd like something with good range but also some strong, clean bass. I am okay with buying a full 2.1 set or buying the sub separately, as long as the total is within budget. I'd prefer something not too bulky because I will be placing the speakers on my desk, but I will take a look anyways so don't refrain from posting a suggestion due to its size. 5" width is probably the max I can fit. I'd also prefer to stay away from z-2300s because of all the comments I have read about the muddled bass. I don't mind a setup with an emphasis on bass, as long as it isn't overpowering.

Edit: I should add that I don't have room for a tabletop sub, so no Swan M10's for me.

While you're at it, suggestions for a good sound card are welcome! The sound card isn't included in the $200 budget.

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 11
havnt heard the A2's nor the sub, but FWIR, most people here lean towards the audioengines. (maybe for the brand?). I really enjoy the pro-medias. awesome bang for your buck ratio. buy the pro-medias used, and save even more $

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I have read some comments on some speakers saying that they need to be placed at least x feet apart and x feet away from the listener for them to perform well. I only have enough space to place the speakers about 2 feet apart (on either side of my monitor), if that matters with suggestions at all. I will be sitting 2-4 feet away from them but would still expect good sound up to at least 10 feet away.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 11
i have the a2 with a yamaha sub that was kicking around...

They sound awesome!

Set the crossover frequency properly at about 70hz and they will be perfect.

Almost any sub will do: as long as it is over 6" sub: adding more bass oomph to these small audioengine speakers.

The a2 does sound a little chesty by itself but this problem disappears after the sun addition: I was pleasantly surprised.

There are lots of options out there... But with audioengine, you'll get a safe bet.
besides, life is too short to screw around with cheap plastic enclosures, lack of tweeters, bloating amps from budget production brands like logitech, Bose, Altec, creative, insignia, coby, ... That's right, Bose is in this list!

With this said, my next purchase would be the Krk rokit5.

But I think I'm keeping these audioengines!!they are perfect satellite speakers!! Of corse with the help of a sub, they are unbeatable for the size, look, quality, sound!

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Right now, I'm pretty set on buying the A2s and saving for a sub later.

I've crossed off:
Logitech z-2300 - muddled bass
Swans M10 - no room for tabletop sub
M-Audio Studiophile AV40 - too large, no room for them
Aego M - availability issues in the US

I have also been looking at the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 but the A2 + future sub combo seemed to be the better option in the long run.

Any other options I should know about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back