Suggestions???? (first time buyer)
Sep 14, 2006 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mtk

New Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to this audiophile stuff, i may not even be an audiophile, but i want a good set of headphones. I've been reading around this forum and reading reviews online and i see model numbers and high prices. I figure $150 would be my spending limit, considering my sony mdr ex71's from japan (impulse buy) were the most expensive i've ever got. I was wanting to know of headphones that can provide general comfort, yet solid sound quality in a variety of music styles. it seems that some are meant for intense bass (bass is a good thing), or for specific genres such as rock or techno, etc, but really, i'm just going for a balance, i'm just gonna hook them up to my computer since headphones make more sense than a 7.1 stereo system. In Hawaii, i don't really know where to buy good gear (circuitcity at best?) thus i'll probably be relying on online reviews, even ordering online.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Be more specific. Do you want them to be open (generally better sound quality, but doesn't block noise from coming in or out) or closed (keeps your music contained to your ears and you can't hear any outside noises)? Do you want them to be circumaural (enclosing the ear, generally more comfortable) or supraaural (resting on top of the ear, generally a little cheaper)?

EDIT: There's even more options of course, such as IEMs (inner-ear monitors; they're like earbuds but they go deep into your ear for a tight fit and great isolation (like a closed headphone), but some people (such as myself) find them uncomfortable. You can also try out the link in my sig.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 9
I'd suggest starting here, review the comments about the various types and models and then come back with more specific questions, as the more specific you can be, the more useful you're likely to find the response.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the description, i guess what would be nice would be ca closed circumaural as i dont want to be annoying my family with noise pouring out. I was reading the review of the HD280pro and it seems pretty good. my only question is if the bass is weak or not? All the reviews tend to have a problem with the bass. While im not one to blow my ears out with bass, i enjoy a bit of power (btw, no amp).

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtk
Thanks for the description, i guess what would be nice would be ca closed circumaural as i dont want to be annoying my family with noise pouring out. I was reading the review of the HD280pro and it seems pretty good. my only question is if the bass is weak or not? All the reviews tend to have a problem with the bass. While im not one to blow my ears out with bass, i enjoy a bit of power (btw, no amp).

well, I suggest you try the AKG K271s. the HD280pro is OK, but it lacks bass. K271 is close-back, and with only 55 ohms of load impedence makes it easy to drive(I used it on my portable MD recorder). The only problem is the price. In USA it seems you can get a pair of HD280pro in $100, but more often in other place of the world HD280pro costs $150----that`s close to K271.

Ah, I forget telling you the price of K271----I got my pair at around $130.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 9
OK, closed circumaural on a $150 budget for a basshead.
basshead.gif
Let's see what the wizard brings up . . . well, the ATH-A900s are apparently easy to drive and have good bass extension, quality, and impact, and a used pair can probably be had for $150. Then again, I'm just basing this off reviews, not experience.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 9
I always recommend the same headphone in questions like this. Sony MDR-D66 Eggo.. Absolutely perfect! I will never ever sell mine... NEVER! And I've owned allot of headphones that come and go. My mom is getting a pair of her own and every time I let some friend try them they ask me where I got them. Very good "first time" headphone too.

Otherwise I just got a pair of Audio-Technica A900's.. Always wanted to try AT so I thought I'd start with the A900. So far I like the character of it and it's definitely more detailed and high-end headphone then the Eggos... But I just never get tired of the eggos, I think I might get tired of the A900 with time.. We'll see. My recommendation however is D66 Eggo, a cheap and through and through a very nice sounding headphone, comfortable as well. Other wise for a little bit more high-end sounding gear the A900 (more detail in the sound etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back