Suggestions - Closed Back/Noise-Canceling
Nov 21, 2015 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spartakill

New Head-Fier
So I currently have the Sennheiser HD598's and they are great. However, they are open back and I have a lot of background noise in my house so I was looking to get some closed back/noise-canceling headphones. I primarily listen through my computer at home and won't be using an amp so I am not looking at the super high end ones that need an amp. I mainly listen to hip-hop/rap so I want a bit more bass than the sennheisers have. From doing my own research the headphones that come closest to what I am looking for are the audio-technica ath m50x but I have also heard their bass isn't that great. Could you recommend some closed back/noise-canceling headphones with good bass?

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 9
Closed back ANC headphones? Bose. Best in the business when it comes to ANC, and the sound isn't bad by any means - somewhat bass, but not overblown, and decent enough soundstaging (especially for the level of isolation they offer). If you're just talking about a closed-back pair of headphones, that's a bit wider - any idea what kind of budget you have?

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Budget is $300. What do you think is better closed back with ANC or just closed back. I was thinking closed back with ANC but if the sound is better with just closed back and no ANC then I might consider that as well.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Budget is $300. What do you think is better closed back with ANC or just closed back. I was thinking closed back with ANC but if the sound is better with just closed back and no ANC then I might consider that as well.

Depends on what you need - ANC will provide better isolation, but there's not many good options apart from Bose, so if the Bose sound doesn't do it for you, there's lots of good non-ANC headphones in the same price range. So what kind of isolation do you really need, since there's lots of closed cans that can do well enough for at-home isolation, but if you're trying to have isolation on an airplane or against loud HVAC or something the ANC solution may be better. :xf_eek:

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 9
Ya I just need at-home isolation, with the sennheisers I have right now I can hear the tv in the next room as well as people talking. I just want to cancel that out. Nothing super loud just regular at home noises. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Closed-back should be fine then - there's quite a few options given your budget. Maybe consider the Denon AH-D600 - they're reasonably comfortable, provide some isolation, have touched up bass, and are relatively inoffensive sounding (this is based on demo'ing them a time or two). Alternately the Audio-Technica A900X or ESW9 are good as well, but may not satisfy your overall "more boosted bass" (this isn't meant to be patronizing). The Bose AE2 would also be a decent consideration, especially given their lower price - they provide good isolation, are moderately bassy, and are very comfortable.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes, at home, you don't need noise cancelling. Even when I listen to music on open headphones, I rarely hear external noise.

The Yamaha HPH-MT220 is by far my favorite closed headphone. Great in all categories for all music.

Runner-up is the Focal Spirit Professional, but I don't recommend it due to the fact that it's $349, less comfortable, has build quality issues, and the sound is a little too dark.

Although its sound quality is nowhere near the level of many other headphones, I really enjoy the Bose QuietComfort 15 for its colorations that make music sound exciting. It improves dramatically with a conventional headphone cable instead of the stock cables. It can be found used for under $100. However, it requires a AAA battery to work, making it inconvenient.

The M50x's bass is overwhelming and muddy. Not very high quality at all, in my opinion. I like the M30x and M40x more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back