suggestions and comments on $1500AUD speaker choice
Mar 18, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #31 of 62
hey toaster you are looking for speakers too? you could ask on the aus hi fi newsgroup to ask for a listen in sydney. there's a guy in canberra who has a pair of vaf dc-x's. but i can't be stuffed asking
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah i guess it's down to the equinox vs legend. haven't listened to osborn and krix though. osborn i gotta pay and i can't really be stuffed. but i may listen to the krixs, they are at ipswich and you go by there to get to toowoomba
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #33 of 62
Most people say Vaf's sound is really bright. I havent heard it though but I doubt it would pair good with the ME if that's the case. Vaf's are really well priced though...should listen if you can with your amp.

I had a look at the osbornes and they seem to be up market.
Like really costly
smily_headphones1.gif

Krix from memory wasnt that great.

Mar 18, 2003 at 12:30 PM Post #34 of 62
I think most of the people who say the Vaf are bright use them in bright or small rooms. Wooden floors without much absorbing furniture would make most speakers on the bright side..

I've used the DCX in room about 5x6.5m (with ME gear) and I don't think they are bright... but putting them into a 3x4m room with floorboards and they get a bit edgy. Try clapping loudly in the room and listening to the reverberation.. you don't want it to "ring"

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #35 of 62
Hi JohnR,

What ME gear do you own
biggrin.gif

What do you think of them?

Mar 19, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #36 of 62
I've got an ME24 and an ME850. I got the 850 2nd hand for 2k, which I'm told is a pretty good deal
smily_headphones1.gif

I think they're good for the price. To better the 850 in every respect would cost alot of money.. I doubt I'll upgrade unless I get some serious speakers. I agree that they tend toward bright, but it's not a problem in my system.

A friend of mine got an ME14 modified by a retailer in Perth, upgrading resistors, capacitors, etc, and reducing the signal path. It sounds damn good. Much more 'delicate' if that makes sense. The guy who modified it considers it pretty much reference level.

Mar 20, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #38 of 62
DCX's
smily_headphones1.gif
although I'm looking to upgrade.. just don't have the money yet.

Since having my HD600s for a while now, I get a little disappointed listening closely to the DCX. They're just not in the same league.

Mar 21, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #39 of 62
i'm sort of not trying to compare my headphones to speakers, they are different products, but yeah i am a bit disappointed with the speakers i've listen to, i thought they would have blown away my perceptions of sound as when i first got the grado sr60s when using crappy earbuds before.

i think the equinox solstice have the vocals presented pretty forward? similar to grados? maybe it's just the room or i am listening too far forward, i'll go back to 3.5m next
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR
DCX's
smily_headphones1.gif
although I'm looking to upgrade.. just don't have the money yet.

Since having my HD600s for a while now, I get a little disappointed listening closely to the DCX. They're just not in the same league.

would you upgrade to a better VAF or something else all together? what's your own opinion of VAF speakers?

Mar 21, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #42 of 62
I took a bit of a gamble getting the DCX. I hadn't heard them before and decided to do the 'in home trial'. I was very happy with them compared to other offerings in my area for near the same price, so I kept them. There's not much other aussie gear to compare with near me, so I didn't realise that most aussie speakers would be really price competitive.

I haven't heard the Vaf Signature range but I have heard DC7s. Both the 7s and Xs are quite a "distant" sound similar to the B&W NT series. Not really "lively" like some, where some sounds (like vocals) just jump out of the speakers. Everything seems more recessed. I agree with some of the comments of MalP in that they are "coarse" rather than detailed but don't think they are bright. I'm not any expert on "hifi" though....

I don't really know what I'd upgrade to. Vaf are definitely good, but I'd take a trip to Adelaide to hear them and others before deciding anything. I think I would stick with aussie made unless there's some great deal I just can't pass up. I'm just considering the upgrade at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

becomethemould: looks comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif
you might want to close the vertical blinds when you listen to avoid reflections from the glass door.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #43 of 62
Wow you have a ME850...Im sooo envious of you.
2k for a 850 is a really really good deal.

How much was it to get the ME14 upgraded?

I thought it was pretty much as good as pre amps gets.

I wish I have spare cash to get the ME1400/1500. The sound is just amazing.

Mar 22, 2003 at 11:41 AM Post #44 of 62
Ctn: I don't know how much since my friend bought it already modified. I can't remember the brand names, but the resistors were around $25ea.. so it's a fair increase in price (probably $600 or more).
The guy who modified it said that he used alot of silver inside, removed the tape loop, and went "direct" from the cd input whatever that means. So CD sounds different to Tuner and AUX. It's a pretty obvious change to my ME24 using HD600s and a NAD c541i.

I'll let you know if a 2nd hand 1400 or 1500 is available cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #45 of 62
Nice. Sounds like pretty simple changes.

Was the external power supply upgraded as well?

Did you get your ME24 upgraded?

Yeah thanks, if you ever find a 2nd hand 1400/1500
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back