suggestions and comments on $1500AUD speaker choice
Jan 28, 2003 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

becomethemould

500+ Head-Fier
i have been to a few local hifi shops lately and each one has suggested one of the following

dynaudio audience 42
quad 11L/12L
sonique 4.5 monitors

i've still yet to visit 2 or more shops which stock mission and tannoy. i've also yet to listen to equinox speakers.

i have listened to different types of music for each speaker so i can't really get a fair comparision, i will be going again to audition in a week or so. so far the quads sound bright for aphex twin. the soniques sound pretty laidback not in your face, very neutral "similar to the dynaudios" the saleman said. was listening to alex lloyd (australian pop rock?)

the brands pushed here are mainly european or australian, so no psb
smily_headphones1.gif
they are found in mainstream "low-fi" retailers, similiar to circuit city and best buy in america.

do you guys have any comments on the speakers listed or do you have any suggestions on which speakers i should audition?

the room is polished wood, roughly 5mX10m. all sorts of music played pop, rock, electronica. and the other components are sony scd-333es SACD player and ME240 integrated amp.

thanks heaps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 62
Epos M12s.

Jan 30, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
another retailer in brisbane stocks epos, i'll go in very soon and ask for an audition.

i've sent emails to all the companys you listed taoster and asked for their suggestions on speakers and local dealers
smily_headphones1.gif
anymore companies or speaker models you are fond with?
biggrin.gif

there's so many aussie speakers many of which are much better values to their import counterparts imo.

ctn uses a pair of legend accoustics with his ME amp.
you should pm him or even better, get him to post here
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 62
I think speaker choice has a lot to do with what kind of amp you are going to drive them with.
md

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 62
hey toaster, i was writing you a pm and it looked pretty long, so it's best if i write it here

i haven't done any further auditioning. i did listen to the epos M12.. that was
eek.gif
the soundstage of them is awesome. they didn't extend very low, did have the bass, pretty tight though not low enough for my tastes, but i guess you'll have to get a sub to get that low. the guy said it goes down to 50hz. also i was noticing a vibrating feel with the bass, like through the floor, making the bass not so tight, it was sort of echoing back to your body
confused.gif

the ME amp i have is a bit warm says the saleman with the epos, saying it would be a good combo with the epos'. equinox have a strong relationship with ME so i guess their speakers would be complementary.

the other speakers im gonna listen to are equinox solistence, dynaudio audience 42, whatmough p11. these 3 i can definately listen at home so it would be a bonus. the guys with the epos said no, so i'll prob go to the shop again for a final listen. i also gotta check up on the soniques.

i didn't really bother with the quad's because they sounded extremely bright with some aphex twin, it sounded like it couldn't keep up with the music and started distorting.

are there any other speakers you recommend for under 1500? i won't try out the VAFs, osborn and subsonics coz i gotta pay for postage to listen.

oh yeah i've still gotta check up on the krix's. the amp is back at ME for remote control repairs, so when i get back i'll do the home auditionings and update you guys on my thoughts!

Mar 7, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 62
yeah of course! i've got beck's seachange SACD so i'll be comparing some SACD as well. though i think one problem i will have is that i don't have any decent speaker stands... hopefully when i get some speakers off the shops they will allow me to borrow some to..

i forgot to ask, a guy on a hifi forum has suggested paradigm speakers. which speakers from their range would you guys recommend in the pricerange (roughly $700US)

Mar 7, 2003 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 62
Hi guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Soz, been holidays
biggrin.gif

Before I start Id like to say I love my speakers and amp.
They are so perfertly matched.

I listened to the Epos M12 when I was buying. The sound is very similar to the Legend Kurres but abit different. The Epos didnt have much low end. The Kurres had more.

I prefered the Kurres, then I was wondering what the Kurres bigger bro sounded like and I just fell in love with it so here I am with the Kama2s.

It pairs perfectly with ME amps.

I dont think ME amps are warm either, I would probably consider it bright if not more accurate.

Check out the Kurre's and Equinox's bookshelves.

Both has a similar sound but Equinox is much brighter.
I prefer the Legend sound.
The Equinox sound is more in your face much like the ME sound.

You could always ask rick to use a different tweeter
biggrin.gif

Come down to Syd
biggrin.gif

Talk to me on icq if u have ne Qs.

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Hi guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Come down to Syd
biggrin.gif

Talk to me on icq if u have ne Qs.

is that an invitation to listen to you kama2s! can i come? can i come?
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 62
Sure if you want hehe.

My room is a total mess though.

If you do, bring along you gear too =)
See how good it sounds with the ME24 preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back