Suggestions / Advice needed!
Dec 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vinylvibe

New Head-Fier
To date, my full size headphone experience has been somewhat limited and not particularly successful. I'm looking for any suggestions that would meet the following criteria:

1) Looking for 'proper' fully sized headphones to be used at home only.

2) Unfortunately, my listening area is sometime subjected to noise from an adjacent room (family TV)

3) A number of over ear headphones I've tried in the past still managed to sit on my ears so I guess I could be classified as having 'larger' ears.

4). My ears tend to get hot quickly & I definitely don't want any headphones that put a lot of pressure on the ears.

Given the above, I've often had to resort to ear buds as they allow my ears to 'breathe' and are comfortable to wear for extended periods but of course they're a huge compromise on sound quality. I loathe in-ear headphones. On ear headphones get hot way too quickly for me. I like the idea of open back headphones and imagine they might stay a bit cooler given their construction but then the external noise from other parts of the house might be an issue with this design.

So - any thoughts? Re-reading this I fear I'm coming across as incredibly fussy but my hope is someone out there can identify with at least part of my conundrum.

Any suggestions very welcome!

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Well your needs are at loggerheads. I would suggest some higher end IEMs, they'll sound just as good as some midrange to maybe some high range headphones while isolating noise and not making your ears sweaty. As far as closed headphones go, they don't isolate well. The Sennheiser HD-25 supposedly does isolate well BUT it's on ear and chances they will make you sweat. Closed over ears probably won't isolate enough but if you're looking for a good one:

-Shure SRH 940 Does Jazz and possible classic well
-Shure SH 840 a lil cheaper.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks very much and certainly take your point about being at loggerheads. Suppose that's what's made figuring this out so tough and why I appreciate input such as yours. Understand your suggestion of the IEMs and the reasons behind it but I really don't like having anything "in" the ear. Feels very uncomfortable to me.

Sounds like over ear is probably going to be my best bet. In your experience do the open ones keep 'cooler' than the closed? Also, looking at the two closed back units you recommended, both look more like on ear rather than over ear. Is this the case or am I just looking at bad product shots?

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 13
Budget would be up to about £250. Regarding sound signature don't really have an ideal other than not wanting things too bright. Genres quite varied but of late it's mostly been rock & folk. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 13
Haha they are all very over-ear, surrounding the entire ear.

The headbands on Audio Technicas are usually wing-design, I dunno I think all Audio Technicas are comfortable since they are so extremely light-weight and low clamping force, well the metal ones anyway, maybe the wood ones are a little bit heavier.

Haven't tried velour myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back