Suggestion to erase the tag ID3v1 and clean some others of a full library
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Arkats

New Head-Fier
Dear friends,

I have decided to shift from iTunes to MusicBee (windows 8.1). I would like to take advantage of it for erasing and cleaning some tags of my music files.

1. A part of my library is in aac, the other one in mp3.

2. Along the years, I have properly tagged all my files with iTunes (various versions on the last fifteen years on Mac and PC) and after inspection I have some ID3v1.1, ID3v2.2, ID3V2.3 and ID3v2.4.

3. I have planned to erase all ID3v1 (to avoid problem when using my files with other soft or hardware) and to convert all the rest in ID3v2.3 with text encoding UTF16 (knowing that most of my data are written in French and English but I have also some Chinese, Arabic or Hebraic texts).

4. I have also planned to erase (aac and mp3) all unneeded tags from Apple like iTunNORM, iTunSMPB, iTunMOVI, iTunes_CDDB_xx, //www.cddb.com, Account Type and name, Artist and catalog and type ID, etc.

5. I have played a bit with Mp3tag and Kid3 on a test folder but I haven't found the way to proceed in one batch and I have noticed for example that Kid3 was changing (on some albums?!) the type of music into a number (like jazz into 8 according to the norm) even if I was not touching the ID3v2 tag and "type as text instead of numbers" is ticked in the options!

6. I have read also about APE but I don't really understand nor see where it is.

7. Finally, I would like also when I will import all my files into MusicBee to structure all the files' names in the same way.

8. And for sure, I don't want to mess up my library (25,000 files).

So, do you think:

Q1: that points 3 and 4 are good ideas?

Q2: which tools and process would you recommend to me?

Q3: what to do with point 6?

Q4: is point 7 a good idea? and if yes which files' name structure do you recommend?

If needed I can give other specific details.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Laurent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back