Suggestion on which to buy: Shure SRH440, Denon 1001, other
Dec 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vampire666

100+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate some help.
I want to get a full-sized headphone and I am towards getting either the Shure SRH440 or Denon AH-D1001. Before I considered also the Sennheiser HD555 but when I discovered that it doesn't have much bass I removed it from the "list".

I listen mainly to Metal, but I also listen to orchestral music (movie soundtracks) and some hip-hop and therefore I appreciate bass frequencies a lot.

I prefer a closed type (I like to be isolated from noises), but it's not mandatory since I will use the headphones only in my room and plugged in my computer (which has a on-board sound card: ADI® AD2000B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC ---> Asus P5Q-E).

Thanks a bunch.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 15
What is your budget range? From what you have listed, I think it's safe to assume it's around $100? I say the ATH-M50 or the Q40 would be good. Btw, do you need an amp?

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 15
Hi. Thank you both for the replies.
Yes, $100 is more or less what I would like to spend.

I ordered a cheap FiiO E5 that should arrive soon (I was going to use it with my Cowon D2 and my IEMs).

I'll do some research on the models you posted.

If anyone else has some suggestions keep'em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. Anyway is there something wrong with the two I had in mind (Shure SHR440 and Denon AH D-2001) since you guys suggested me other headphones?

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 15
The HD555s have plenty of bass... more than the Denons. I have both.

The HD555s are some of the best budget all rounders that are open, just getting that out.

Check the Shures, they are made really well, and you get a lot of headphone for your money. I bought AKG240s over the Shure 440s, but it wasn't because the Shures lacked, it was because I had always wanted to have a pair of these, and I like their lower end warnth. You would be getting, IMO, more headphone for your money with the Shures, although the Denons resolve very well, it just sucks sometimes it is so well even a 320k LAME mp3 can reveal artifacting. Also, The Denons seem to be needing amping, more than my little usb pre can give, so I use them on my main system. I am pretty 'sure' you can drive the 440s well in most configs.

The Denons actually sound worse on rock and metal than other phones. MY HD555s, or Sony xb700s truly rock out, with the XB700s being some of the least fatiguing phones I have, but the HD555s are not far beyind because of how they roll off the HF somewhat. A lot of ear shredding metal would sound rough on the Denons because they really are very accurate, Both a blessing and a curse.

Go with the 440s. They are on my list for next phones to buy.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 15
The SRH440's performed very well with metal (nice mids, fast resolution) when I auditioned them, and have more bass impact/slam than their higher-end brother, the SRH840. So the 440's will be sufficient for your musical preferences.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD555s have plenty of bass... more than the Denons. I have both.

The HD555s are some of the best budget all rounders that are open, just getting that out.

Check the Shures, they are made really well, and you get a lot of headphone for your money. I bought AKG240s over the Shure 440s, but it wasn't because the Shures lacked, it was because I had always wanted to have a pair of these, and I like their lower end warnth. You would be getting, IMO, more headphone for your money with the Shures, although the Denons resolve very well, it just sucks sometimes it is so well even a 320k LAME mp3 can reveal artifacting. Also, The Denons seem to be needing amping, more than my little usb pre can give, so I use them on my main system. I am pretty 'sure' you can drive the 440s well in most configs.

The Denons actually sound worse on rock and metal than other phones. MY HD555s, or Sony xb700s truly rock out, with the XB700s being some of the least fatiguing phones I have, but the HD555s are not far beyind because of how they roll off the HF somewhat. A lot of ear shredding metal would sound rough on the Denons because they really are very accurate, Both a blessing and a curse.

Go with the 440s. They are on my list for next phones to buy.

Thanks for your intervention on the HD555. I had the impression (I have read some comments here and there about it) that they where lacking in bass (maybe in quantity rather then quality?)...maybe because they are open headphones (but I don't believe this is the case)...I don't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SRH440's performed very well with metal (nice mids, fast resolution) when I auditioned them, and have more bass impact/slam than their higher-end brother, the SRH840. So the 440's will be sufficient for your musical preferences.

Nice. If I can spend even less without sacrificing much on the audio (and in this case I'll have even better impact on the bass)...even better.
wink.gif

Thank you.
[size=xx-small]
EDIT: Say hi to Nyarlathotep if you see him, and tell him that 2012 is coming soon..he has some work to do. :p God, he makes me mad. [/size]

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 15
HD555 don't go as low as they should, bass-wise. But more than that, they sound sub-par, IMO. Overall tone you dont think "man, this is lacking in bass" but when you hit a low note, you'll notice it's not there or it's distorted (if turned up high enough).

But the main thing is it's as if the mid-range is lost in a black hole somewhere. Very inoffensive but extremely uninvolving, distant headphones (same for the HD 595).

I would cross them off any list I had just based on their overall sound (I have both the HD555 and HD595, and both are a complete waste of money, in my opinion).

I have no experience with the rest but I can't imagine them being worse than these two. Comfort is OK, though.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Yeah, they were a nice pair of cans (440s). I was very close to buying them. I went to the store FOR them and saw the AKGs... but anyway, they are built really well, and, to be frank, just feel like quality. You get your money's worth, I would really think with the 440s.

If you are into harder hitting music you may not want something uber-resolving, I know the Denons are more Jazz phones for me, and for rock or electronic I pull out the HD555s, the XB700s (if I want to just relax into the music) and now the AKGs. I would imagine the Shure 440s sounding better on rock than Shure's higher priced pair. Hip-hop too, or triphop, IDM, glitch, industrial. Anything that needs a good all 'round sound would probably be better off on the 440s. Plus, if their efficiency is more, then you get a bonus of needing less power to drive them.

Even with the reduced power draw of these AKGs, they are really almost too much for my E-MU 0202 USB here at work, so I brought in a little "studio" headamp that uses opamps meant for power draw, and to cut the harshness of that device, I have a tubed output buffer in the chain.

I am not using it right now, just the E-MU, but I digress. Get those 440s, you won't regret it certainly. I am thinking about selling my Denons. the AD1001 is a very nice set, but not made for my musical tastes and setup (even if 50% of it is lossless). I can only get them to sound good on a non-oversampling tubed DAC going into my NAD c160 pre. I just can't carry that around like I can something like the E-MU.

I diagree regarding the 555s. I have had them for almost 7-8 years, and in that time I have heard a lot of headphones. There is a viel, yes, but if you are ok with a slight HF roll off (which I am), they bring the goods. The low end is actually pretty good. I listen to a lot of IDM, and the HD555s always sounded good reproducing the various unique sounds of a lot of IDM without fatigue. I have said this before, but, the HD555s are the only headphones in my collection right now that make me have to take them off to check to see if I left the main stereo speakers on. I think that speaks for itself. They are a natural, slightly veiled, sounding set that can worn for many hours on end. Bass slam is there because they are quick. You may not feel the lows like on the XB700s by Sony, but they are there for sure. I picked them up and plugged them in the other day after listening to another set for a little while, and was really surprised at how well they actually did perform. I got so used to their sound that something else was "better", but it gave me a chance to hear the 555s again, and I was really happy with them. I have no doubt that if you get a good little headphone pre, you can crank the 555s up for some very full bodied sound. Their open design is a bit of a mystery, because they don't *sound* open. I have heard closed that sound more "open". I would not just kick these to the curb. They are not for sale in the used section nearly as much as some others that are within the 555/595s price bracket. I am certainly hanging onto mine.

They remind me of PSB speakers. Designed in Canada using government supplied research facilities, PSB was one of the best "bang for buck" full range speakers and bookshelves around. The Alpha Bs are legendary. Many people dislike them because they actually *lack* character. The idea of speakers and headphones is to design them so they dissappear, but many people actually enjoy slight coloration. Wilson Audio makes some of the most expensive speakers in hifi, but also studio monitors. They openly admit to adding slight coloration to the consumer models.

Flat freq. curves don't always translate into sound we like. I happen to enjoy the HD555s neutrality, some people don't. I suppose it is an issue of taste. I hate sushi, but I am aware there are some very good sushi artisans in this world. It's just not what I like, but I am not going to bash someone's sushi because I hate it, that is not a fair critique.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Flat freq. curves don't always translate into sound we like. I happen to enjoy the HD555s neutrality, some people don't. I suppose it is an issue of taste. I hate sushi, but I am aware there are some very good sushi artisans in this world. It's just not what I like, but I am not going to bash someone's sushi because I hate it, that is not a fair critique.

If only it were flat. It sounds to me like the low bass gets cut off and huge chunks of the mid-range are lowered. When turned up, they turn into a claustrophobic "mush". I don't know how else to describe it. Unloved, uninvolving mush =)

Comfort is pretty good (only surpassed by Audio Technica's 'wing' designs, IMO), but if I had to do it again (and I probably will, soon) I would steer well clear of this headphone. The higher-end Sennheisers are probably excellent (like their old HD 565 Ovation, which I loved, despite crap cable design) but I'd never venture off into the HD555 and HD 595 waters again. I honestly don't know why they are so overhyped. But we all hear things differently...

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 15
@Yashu. How easy are the AKG's to drive? Would they work as well on an mp3 player as the Shures? I would love to get the AKG 242HD but some people say it's almost as hard to drive as the K701.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 15
I'm pretty convinced to go with the Shure SRH440, but I'm asking myself what's the difference between these and the more expensive brother, the SRH840.

From Azathoth's post I understand the SRH440 have more bass impact/slam, which is what I'm looking for (if that means both better quality and quantity of the representation of the lower frequencies), but I was wondering what are the pro's of the SRH840 to justify the extra money...maybe it's overall more accurate then the SRH440?

I prefer a headphone that has more "character" (that gives emotions) at the expenses of a more professional neutral response (which is better for critical studio listening), then the other way around, so if the SRH440 is more fun to listen than the SRH840 I'm good to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys for your valuable help!

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #14 of 15
the akgs worked well on a good phone out on my preamp, or with this little headphone amp for high power draw stuff that uses a JA5xxx opamp, I think. Anyway, the E-MU had a hard time with the AKGs, so lower volumes were ok, but couldn't crank it without a headamp. I have a little tubed output buffer to cut the harshness out of the sterile headamp that this is.

The Shure 440s are not going to have this issue. I can't seem to justify the 840s for what I listen to, and with, but people say if you have the equipment to really open them up, they take off, while the 440s don't. What this means is, unless you have a nice, warmish, headamp, the 440s are going to give you the best sound for you dollar, even more since they are designed to work well in exactly the kind of situations we are speaking about.

I was seconds away from buying them, and still might. I come from audiophile roots in 2 channel nearfield, and so from that, I can say that at a certain point most speakers would sound well enough if you had the right source equipment. The Shure 440s are going to sound great, because you wish to use them in a certain configuration that the 840s are going to want an amp for. This makes neither a bad choice, as both will sound good. You just need to spend less to get "good" from the 440s. They certainly are built well, and look good. I wish they sold the 440s in big-box stores, then we would have less unhappy HD280 owners. The denons are ultra-resolving for that price, but just not for me.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks again yashu. I appreciate your help a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back