suggestion of Frederic Chopin.......
Jul 2, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 21
I don't particularly like Chopin's music, but not too long ago I bought the etudes played by Murray Perahia which I think is very good (though my girlfriend prefers Pollini's performance
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 21
I don't like Chopin either. But I can at least accept his polonaise and Mazurka. Other than that, I am not really fond of him. Sorry, couldn't be more of help.

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
after "the Pianist", I start to look for Frederic Chopin , any suggestion?

Look for the ballades. The G Minor ballade is one of my favorite pieces.

Second, his two piano sonatas are magnificent in their conception and structure. Chopin's music always moves with purpose even at its most vituostic moments.

Finally, I love the piano concerti even though he, I believe, composed these as a teenager, and the orchestra is almost an afterthought.

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 21
eek.gif
How can anybody who feels not love Chopin?

Whatever. To each his own, I guess. Get Arthur Rubinstein's recordings whenever you can. I have the complete 10-CD set of Rubinstein's Chopin recordings. Some are in mono but even that can't hold back his masterful playing. Horowitz also has a full cycle, I believe, but he was nowhere near as good as Rubinstein when it came to Chopin.

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 21
Earl Wild's recording of the complete etudes is excellent. EXTREMELY well recorded, too, as well as the great playing.

Full name:
Earl Wild CHOPIN: The Complete Etudes,
Chesky Records CD77

Jul 3, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
eek.gif
How can anybody who feels not love Chopin?

Whatever. To each his own, I guess.

While I think Chopin's quite talented and wrote some good music, I also think he's quite capable of writing sappy salon music as well. I don't particularly dislike his music, but I don't particularly love his music neither.

Whatever. To each his own, I guess.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 21
I think the best introduction to Chopin is the Preludes. They are very short and more consistently melodic than the Etudes (which are also fabulous). For medium size pieces, the Ballades and Scherzos are most dramatic, the Nocturnes more refined. (It was the first Ballade and a Post. Nocturne, and the Andante Spianato & Grande Polonaise in -The Pianist).

As you might expect, the Nocturnes are a perfect fit for headphones in the dark!

It is hard to find bad recorded performances. As mentioned, the Rubinstein are standard and form a very nearly complete cycle. There is no complete Horowitz, though he did a fair amount of great stuff. There is a superb, utterly complete recording of Chopin by V. Ashkenazy. My favorite is Ivan Moravec, who recorded most of the major works.

The Pollini and Perahia Etudes are both controversial. Many find them both too slick and lifeless despite the brilliant technique.

You're in for a great time!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
The Pollini and Perahia Etudes are both controversial. Many find them both too slick and lifeless despite the brilliant technique.

Controversial, I guess, because I don't agree with the statement about Perahia Etudes being too slick and lifeless.
tongue.gif
IMO, it's a modern, articulate and polished performance with a well balance between poetry and precision. I don't like people playing Chopin with too much sappyness, it just my personal preference.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 21
I rarely like to listen to solo piano music but do have some Chopin,
best approach is to get one of the many single CD samplers, that way you can find out what style works you enjoy.........then buy more specialized selections of those works. Every piano artist has a best of Chopin CD out, so just get anyone of the well regarded artists to get started.

Personally I like the waltz and mazurka pieces the best and have purchased other Cds that concentrate in these areas.

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 21
Along with the previously recommended Rubinstein performances, check out any of the newly reissued Dinu Lipatti readings of Chopin. They're on EMI. And they're indispensible.

Jul 3, 2003 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 21
Sorry for the back-to-back posts, but one other recording came to mind:

Chopin - The Legendary 1965 Recording / Martha Argerich

1. Sonata for Piano no 3 in B minor, B 155/Op. 58

2. Mazurkas (3) for Piano, B 157/Op. 59

3. Nocturnes (3) for Piano, Op. 15: no 1 in F major

4. Scherzo for Piano no 3 in C sharp minor, B 125/Op. 39

5. Polonaise for Piano in A flat major, B 147/Op. 53 "Heroic"

Jul 3, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1

The Pollini work gets my wholehearted recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back