Suggestion of amp for DT880 (v2005)
Jan 8, 2007 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ManAtWork

500+ Head-Fier
I got a DT880 2005 version, and felt very impressive of its performance. Now, I plan to buy a good head-amp to drive it better for optimal performance. In my short list, there are Sugden HeadMaster and CORDA OPERA. I listen to most kind of music, and like to have a little bit warmer sound, with maintain the strength and characteristics come with the DT880. Please help to give me some advice which one suit for my requirement. TIA.

Regards,
Michael

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 10
It seems you are willing to spend quite a bit. With that in mind, I'd consider a balanced amp. The DT880 2005 improved a lot from balanced drive, especially in the bass (which became a lot less thin/more ballsy). The new Headroom Balanced amp is quite the bargain, so that might be worth a look.

The Corda amps are known very well for their synergy with Beyer cans, so that might be a very good pick. Of course if you're looking for a warmer sound, there are always the tube amps. I don't like them much myself, so I'll let someone else do the recommending there.

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 10
I think I will go for Corda Opera as Corda's products are proven options for DT880. I like the tube amp, but it will be very hot where I am sitting not far from it during the Summer.

Many thanks for your valuable advice. I am now much comfortable to use Opera now.

Regards,
Michael

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will go for Corda Opera as Corda's products are proven options for DT880. I like the tube amp, but it will be very hot where I am sitting not far from it during the Summer.

Many thanks for your valuable advice. I am now much comfortable to use Opera now.

Regards,
Michael

The Corda is a very fine choice (I have a Prehead myself), but I want to add that the X-can does not get very hot. No more than luke warm.
Enjoy the Opera, and don't forget to let us know how you like it!

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 10
In fact, I wanted the Prehead Mk II first, but it was sold out and discontiued and SE version is too expensive to me. Can anyone let me know how the Corda devices be synergy with Beyer cans? I want to have an estimation how much the sound be improved if connected to the Opera.

I like tube amp indeed, just like I am still using the Audio Research amps in living room.

I think I will placed order for the Opera in next two days. Should come back and share with you all how it works.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10
So far as the Beyer / Corda synergy, Skylab is a faithful proponent of the pairing. In fact I do believe he also has a Corda Opera on order with Meier Audio. Research his posts "Skylab" for quotes, or PM him I'm sure he will encourage your decision...(Although he maybe on vacation, as I haven't seen his posts of late)...

Hope this helps, good luck~

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks, Hi-Finthen. I just sent a PM to Skylab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back