Suggestion - Headphone Amp for Audeze LCD2C
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sergio Tavares

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I finally did pull the trigger on the Audeze LCD2C. I usually use them if I am working on the laptop with a ifi Nano iDSD (1st Edition) for listening mainly Spotify premium quality. If I want to chill, and if the Mrs and kids are already in bed I go to the living room and put my laptop linked to the ifi, then wired it up to the main amp (Marantz PM6005). Now, I am thinking on getting a dedicated headphone amp. Why? You might ask... well the TV is also connected to the amp by optical cable and the sound comes from the speakers, so if I want to listen musin on my headphones, I can't without cutting the TV sound off (and that might lead to divorce...)

So what Amp should I get? I was advised by a fellow LCD owner to go for the Aune S6, which is a Amp + DAC and has balanced headphone outup. Nice... buit costs 500 Euros which I am renitent to drop. Do I really need the DAC? Erm... no... Balanced outputs? Nice! Do I really need them? Do they really make a difference? Don't know... for sure... maybe not...

So what amp is a nice deal and is clear and powerful enough for the Audeze's?

I looked at Aune X7S, but their ouput impendance is too high. And has balanced output.
I looked at Arcam's rHead, which I can get nowaday new for 250€. Is this a good option? Is it powerful enough?
The JDS Atom also might be a possibility but I think is hard to get in Europe?
I looked in the past also for the Topping DX3 Pro, but also has a high output impendance and I've read about some reliability issues with some units...

What do you guys think?

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Do I really need the DAC?

Yes...and you already have one and you've been using it. The iDSD has line outputs. Just hook up the amp to that.

So what Amp should I get? I was advised by a fellow LCD owner to go for the Aune S6, which is a Amp + DAC and has balanced headphone outup. Nice... buit costs 500 Euros which I am renitent to drop. .... Erm... no... Balanced outputs? Nice! Do I really need them? Do they really make a difference? Don't know... for sure... maybe not...

It's not just $500. You still need to buy a balanced cable that works with it.

You might as well just get a good single ended amp.

I looked at Aune X7S, but their ouput impendance is too high. And has balanced output.

Planar headphones are less susceptible to the ill effects of high output impedance than dynamic drivers. But to get all the power out of that you need a balanced cable...unless the LCD-2C came with one you might as well just get a good single ended amp.

I looked at Arcam's rHead, which I can get nowaday new for 250€. Is this a good option? Is it powerful enough?

Probably the most powerful you can get for that kind of money. Schiit Lyr3 has more power (much more than you need actually), but it's going to be expensive in Europe.

So what amp is a nice deal and is clear and powerful enough for the Audeze's?

Maybe the Meier Jazz FF but the price will be closer to the S6 than the RHead.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for your reply.

I understand from your answer that you seem to think that between 2 similar price tags (Arcam rHead vs. Aune X7S), the balanced output of the Aune doesn't justify the optin for it. Am I correct? Why? Just because of the added cost of cable?

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your reply.

I understand from your answer that you seem to think that between 2 similar price tags (Arcam rHead vs. Aune X7S), the balanced output of the Aune doesn't justify the optin for it. Am I correct? Why? Just because of the added cost of cable?

Yes. Unless you're using a high impedance headphone I'd much rather get the RHead. Its only glaring weakness is by how much the output drops as impedance rises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back