Suggestion for Portable Audio Setup (700$)
Nov 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

antz123

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Anyone who stops by :D.

I have a 1000$ odd music spend in mind. Out of which 300$ are towards Meze 99.

Left with 700$ I have two options in my mind post talking to some people. Just wanted to some more information so thought shall ask for advice here.
  • Go for Mojo (550$) + around 200$ player probably a Shanling M1 or or Plenue D. It limits my music carrying capability but leaves me with an option to probably go for a better DAP 18-20 months down the line (or Oppo HA2)
  • Go for DAP upto 700$. In consideration are Pioneer (Onkyo rebadged) or Shangling M5.

I have Dunu 2000 as my IEM and primarily listen to  classical rock and some modern stuff like Daftpunk or Nine Inch Nails , Foo Fighters etc.  I am not big on streaming, I rather prefer good neutral sound, nice sound stage,  battery life n storage capacity.

Which option would you suggest to go with?

Thanks ...

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello Anyone who stops by :D.

I have a 1000$ odd music spend in mind. Out of which 300$ are towards Meze 99.

Left with 700$ I have two options in my mind post talking to some people. Just wanted to some more information so thought shall ask for advice here.
  1. Go for Mojo (550$) + around 200$ player probably a Shanling M1 or or Plenue D. It limits my music carrying capability but leaves me with an option to probably go for a better DAP 18-20 months down the line (or Oppo HA2)
  2. Go for DAP upto 700$. In consideration are Pioneer (Onkyo rebadged) or Shangling M5.

I have Dunu 2000 as my IEM and primarily listen to  classical rock and some modern stuff like Daftpunk or Nine Inch Nails , Foo Fighters etc.  I am not big on streaming, I rather prefer good neutral sound, nice sound stage,  battery life n storage capacity.

Which option would you suggest to go with?

Thanks ...
The QP1R is a bit over your budget but you would find it hard to find one that sounds better under $2000 IMO. There would be no need for the Mojo as it can drive just about anything and the Meze 99's sounded fantastic out of it. Dual sd slots for all or most of your music with 32 gigs onboard also. It can be used as a USB dac also. You might find a used one closer to your budget.
The next dap I would have is the Onkyo DP-X1 sounds good and all the streaming stuff and dual sd slots also. It just doesn't come close to sound quality of the QP1R IMHO.
Unless your wanting to run more powerful headphones I would go for a dap as all can run most iems and the 99's. Don't get me wrong the Mojo is a very good dac amp just I don't think it would add a whole lot to your needs at the moment.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 5
@buke9

you are right Qp1R is bit out of budget sadly.  Plus I had really really really bad experience with the mechanical wheels of Fiio, Thus i steered cleared of QP1R from start.

Dont take me wrong  i just pretended to not read the reviews itself. Yesterday post your comment I ended up reading many reviews and loved what I read.

Onkyo X1- must have an X2 around thus would feel left out if i buy X1 now, same goes for Fiio or Shangling or ibasso. Thus more reasons to probably by a decent phone, and hook on Mojo along to get best out of it.

I have never travelled around with stacked devices so  ya probably it all sounds all cool till one ends up using it often.

Onkyo X1 otherwise or its rebadged Pioneer is my no.1 preference currently.

Thank you for your suggestion again.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I hardly ever use the wheel I just use the touchscreen buttons the wheel gets better over time but still not perfect. The Onkyo is a fine unit that sounds very good to me. The QP1R just sounds so much better. I understand budget issues so good luck with whatever you decide on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back