Suggestion for indexing large threads
Aug 27, 2014 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jopagi

Head-Fier
I would love to see some more ways to support large threads on Head-Fi.   There are quite a few of them, and most of them have truly informative posts randomly interspersed with a lot of posts that are usually well-meaning but don't necessarily add a lot to the discussion.
Unless I'm missing something, I don't really see a way to navigate to the thread highlights easily.  

Obviously the definition of what is considered interesting is up for debate, and is perhaps different for different people, but here are some suggestions
- when a thread grows over some threshold (50 pages?) automatically create an index based on say the top 10% of most-liked posts in the thread, ordered chronologically.
- add some support for allowing someone (moderator?  original poster? anyone?) to maintain an index after the thread has gone 'viral'.   If it's done by the original poster, it's possible that there's some space available in the first or second post to do this, but not always.
- have a mode where you navigate through a thread like normal, but all posts below a user-defined 'like' threshold are hidden.

Some posters (Jason of Schiit) had the foresight to turn the first post into an indexed list of chapters, which is great.   However, other members of Schiit have posted there as well with really valuable insights and backstories.    Although I think I've read all of their posts, I'm not really sure unless I wade through all posts (2397 and counting so far).   It's possible that Jason could update his index to include links to the other Schitters, but it got me thinking that maybe the webite itself could provide some support here.

Although I've been a member for many years, I certainly haven't explored all the nooks and crannies and features of this site, so perhaps there are navigation techniques that will help here that are already available.   I can search a thread by top-rated posts, but that's not quite the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back