Suggestion for clip-on headphones
Oct 24, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gorman

1000+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine is looking to go one step up from the standard headphones he found with his DAP.

He would like to have some in the clip on style (with no band going from left to right ear). Something along this line.

What's the consensus, if any, on what the best product is in the 40$-70$ price range?

Edit: he's not against this style either, if quality could be better.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Well... I aimed higher since the beginning... Shure E3-->UE-10 Pro-->DT-880 (which are not superior to UE-10 IMHO, just different and equally very satisfying).

Ok, so Koss KSC 75... anything else? Slightly higher fidelity? He has a higher budget and... well, since when here at Head-Fi we take care of other people's wallets?
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 10
KSC75!!! Mod to near SR60 performance. IMHO the best sub-$60 can.
If he favors a more relaxed, less aggressive sound then KSC35.

Don't even bother with the sony, panasonic junk when these can be found for $20. Lifetime warranty too!!!

Garrett

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 10
there are always the selections from Audio Technica, such as EM7, EM9D, EM9R, EW9. i think JVC has recently come out with a nice new one that has an aluminum housing but i have no idea about the sound. all of the Audio Technica units will cost a lot more than the Koss KSC35/75 clip ons.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Something along this line.

Stay far, far away from those. That was my first headphone purchase, and they're the most uncomfortable headphones imaginable (Grado's are a dream compared to them). Plus, they sound awful.

Back on the topic, I'll second (third?) the KSC75. They're a steal at $20. Comfortable, great sound and a lifetime warranty. If he's willing to spend up to $70, then put $20 down on the KSC75 and buy $50 worth of music to listen to with them.

Oct 24, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 10
KSC75.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 10
yeah, under $70 i dont think youll find better sounding clipons. you most definately will find better and much cooler looking clipons (audio technica perhaps), but not better sounding. if he wants something higher fi then maybe he can get a portable amp with the rest of the $70?

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 10
My friend ordered the KSC75 and he is quite satisfied with them. Actually, I tried them on and they did surprise me. Bass is a touch boomy but... for the price they are probably hard to beat, I concur.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back