Suggestion for a friend
Oct 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nkk

500+ Head-Fier
One of my potential fraternity brothers has an HD600. He has been using his Macbook Pro HP out. Needless to say, when I heard of this, I offered to let him try my Compass. Well, now he is intent on buying an amp very soon, and has asked me to help.

The requirements are:
-able to drive HD600 at least as well as the Compass
-$300 tops, although the way he said this led me to believe a little slack is available to get good music.
-A built in DAC or the price goes down to $200 so that he can get pretty good external DAC (gamma 1? please feel free to suggest this, too).

I have given him some recommendations, and he is visiting head-fi, but I am posting this query for him to make sure everything is considered.

I have recommended the Compass so far, but what are the other options? Both tube and SS, as I do not think he has decided which he wants.

Thank you,
Nkk

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Can a pico really drive the HD600 as well as the Compass?

-Nkk

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can a pico really drive the HD600 as well as the Compass?

-Nkk

I can't say, I haven't listened the Compass, but if your friend wants something sounding like the Compass, then he'd better buy one
biggrin.gif
All I know is the Pico does a more than decent job with the HD600 for a portable.
Another good option possibly into his budget is a used X-Cans V2. Not many for sale lately, but I think it can be found in the $200 range.

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 8
The point is not to sound like the compass. The point is that he has heard the Compass, and if he spends $300 on something that sounds not as good (especially with the HD600, b/c I do not think he is upgrading those soon), then it is not an optimal purchase.

SO, any other suggestions?

-Nkk

PS: I like your avatar, Torpedo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back