Suggestion for <$1000 DAC???
Jun 9, 2005 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nutcracker

New Head-Fier
Hi fellow audiophiles,
As a followup from my previous thread, do you have any suggestion for <$1000 DAC?? So far I'm considering the Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 and Benchmark DAC-1. MF model is on sale together wth 2 other MF models (tube output and powersupply) for $1200 ($999 by itself). Benchmark ($975) looks especially enticing since it also doubles as headphone amplifier. I've read reviews of both the MF trio system and the Benchmark which were all excellent. I'm using a Pioneer dvd/sacd player and receiver as part of hometheater box-package. I'll appreciate any suggestion. THANKS!

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 13
i was under the impression that external DACs didn't work with SACD because no SACD players are set up with digital outs for some reason. Is this correct? In which case maybe just upgrading your SACD source with its internal DAC is the way to go?

edit- or maybe i'm thinking about DVD-Audio, since it's coming back to me that we hooked up Lan's DAC to the 9000ES SACD player in the Qualia store a while back...

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i was under the impression that external DACs didn't work with SACD because no SACD players are set up with digital outs for some reason. Is this correct?

Correct, but it's for a very good reason: SACD is an entirely different digital format, and a standard DAC won't work with it. Standard DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 take a PCM signal, while SACDs are encoded with DSD. AFAIK, external DACs which support DSD are not common. So there'd be little point in a digital out for an SACD.

In principle, of course, an SACD player could have a digital out for discs which include a standard PCM layer ("hybrid" discs). In fact, some have this (example: Onkyo universal players). So you could hook your own DAC up for standard Redbook (and maybe DVD-A, not sure there) and use the on-board for SACDs...

cool.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 13
ah! that's what we did. we used lan's external dac to read off the redbook layer from that SACD player. because at the same time we had an amp hooked into the analog out...and a can hooked into the integrated headphone out...poor player! but that way Lan, me and Romanee all got to hear the same track at the same time.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 13
SACD and DVD-Audio digital bitstreams are not available as digital output from players for two main reasons:

1) The true important reason: copy protection. Content providers do not permit high-resolution audio digital bitstreams to be available without a DRM scheme to protect against perfect digital copies.

2) The second reason is that there was no digital output standard (such as SPDIF or TOSLINK) capable of handling the high bandwidth requirements for DVD-Audio and SACD, and in the case of SACD, the format is not even PCM. Today there are FireWire and HDMI digital interfaces with DTCP DRM available in some DVD player/receiver combinations.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker
Hi fellow audiophiles,
As a followup from my previous thread, do you have any suggestion for <$1000 DAC?? So far I'm considering the Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 and Benchmark DAC-1. MF model is on sale together wth 2 other MF models (tube output and powersupply) for $1200 ($999 by itself). Benchmark ($975) looks especially enticing since it also doubles as headphone amplifier. I've read reviews of both the MF trio system and the Benchmark which were all excellent. I'm using a Pioneer dvd/sacd player and receiver as part of hometheater box-package. I'll appreciate any suggestion. THANKS!

You may want to check out Musical Fidelity A324 DAC. It goes for around $650 on audiogon. It's a really good DAC. Definitely worth taking a look.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 13
wow....my pioneer player dvd/sacd player does have digital out, but I understand it applies only for video dvd and standard cd if connected to an external DAC? and will not work for improving sacd? I do want my new system to play my collection of classical and jazz sacds, so I suppose its better for me to purchase a new sacd source (with decent internal dac) instead of buying a external DAC???

If that's the case, I should look around for a decent sacd players in this price range. MH Maverick $1500 is a bit above my budget, but it is very enticing. Any recommendation??? Thanks again folks....

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I've heard CD players that sound better than the DAC1 to my ears and are less expensive. But if you are looking for SACD playback as well your only choice is to get a new source. I would say that saving up some more money and going all out would be a good idea. Otherwise you will just be dissapointed and upgrade again before you know it.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 13
They may sound better to your ears because you dont like analytical sources, but in terms of sound quality the DAC-1 is above the other DACs in its price range, its been discussed and reviewed more than once.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
They may sound better to your ears because you dont like analytical sources, but in terms of sound quality the DAC-1 is above the other DACs in its price range, its been discussed and reviewed more than once.

There is no reason that you can't have a source that is both analytical and musically pleasing. I found the DAC-1 too harsh and dry sounding for my tastes. The CD players and DAC's that I have enjoyed were no less detailed than the DAC-1. That aside, I know that it has a great following and I don't begrudge people that enjoy it. Use whatever works for you.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Dunno. I've myself heard CD Players up to the 3000 bucks range that were slightly better, but not by 2000 bucks if you see what I mean, so I guess its all up to your ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back