Suggesting Headphones IRL
Jun 28, 2011 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

iLoveMyuzik

Head-Fier
So a guy came in to my workplace today with some cheap Sony's on his head. I asked what they were just for the sake of it, and he replyed that he didn't know, and also that he's bought about 10 pairs of the same headphones(at $15 a piece) because they break easily. I suggested that he buy slightly more expensive headphones that won't break as easily to which he replied, "Yeah you're right. If I just saved that money, I could probably get better headphones, huh?"

Haha, anyways, the next comment made me reply so quickly, that I even shocked myself. He said, "Yeah, I was actually looking at those Beats by Dr. Dre headphones and--". I cut him off, almost by reflex and said, "You don't want to buy those, bro. I showed him this video: I've watched this video 100 times just to laugh at the fact that I considered them before.

After seeing that, he had the same reaction as the guy in the video. I wrote down the ATH-M50's down on a piece of paper and said "Half the price, way better, much more durable." HE thanked me a million times and left with a smoothie and a smile. Haha.

So, Head-fi, my question is have you guys ever made suggestions on headphones to people? How did that end up?

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 2
I've tried. More often than not I've failed in recommending better HPs because the Beats are the trend right now (Sadly). However, thanks to my [desperate] efforts one of my relatives now owns Grado SR-60s and another was impressed with my Soundmagic PL50s after buying a long string of mediocre Bose, etc in-ear HPs. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It's a project, though. When I try to discourage friends from buying Beats, it usually ends with something along the lines of, "...but the bass is good." If only they could try on my Shure SRH-840s which I got for $120; less than 1/2 the price and would introduce them to real bass, not just pulses of vibration. Curious to hear others' stories so I could grow my army of anti-Beats tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back