Suggested Speaker for Fiio X3
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MP3guy

Head-Fier
Yes, folks, a thread on (gasp!) SPEAKERS!

You see, listening to music with headphones is very nice, but it's also very SOLITARY. Sometimes, we like to share music with friends and loved ones and what better way than with FLAC encoded music you spent all this time building up?

I've been looking into small speaker(s) for use in the kitchen, so the family can listen to some nice music, instead of the celebu-trash on television that comes on after the news.

So, I've been looking at the Sony SRS line, Bose Soundlink, Ultimate Ears, etc. These are all Bluetooth speakers, but of course, I'm going to use mine with wired output.

Does anyone have any recommendations, and is output a concern for the unit? Any suggestions are welcome.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Self-powered studio monitors, price for a pair.
(Will also need a cable, 3.5mm (1/8") stereo male to dual 1/4" mono plugs, $10?)

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $171
Monoprice 8" studio monitors, $255
JBL LSR305, $300
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s, $332

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 8
These are great speakers, and thank you for introducing them to me. But they're too big for my purposes.,

AudioEngine A2+ ?

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks again for all this info- these are great products I didn't know existed. But again, having TWO bookshelf sized speakers is too big a footprint.

Let me pitch you this- since this is for the kitchen or "casual" use- how about using ONE Monoprice or JBL speaker and just keep it to mono?

Aside from mono coming back in style, I just want decent reproduction that will outshine one of those stupid "tube" beat boxes and provide some warmth to the sound.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Just got a Sony XRS X5 unit, which I had eyes on, but didn't want to pay $200 for. They just dropped the price to $128, and that is a good value. Oddly, the smaller X3 is still at $125, which makes no sense.

Excellent bass, will do the "room filling" thing if you need to, and has a warm pitch to the sound which suits me fine. Typical sturdy Sony build quality. The unit vibrates the deep upright bass notes when you hold it in your hand.  Another cool feature- you can charge your player while using it with the speaker.

Not water resistant, or something you would want to travel with, but a good room to room unit to use with your player.

Now the family can share the music. Beats the TV anytime.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 8
I recently bought a bose soundlink mini, the sound is amazing for its size with minimal distortion.
Just missing some low medium freqs above the bass part.
You can plug the fiio player in the 'aux' input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back