Suggested source upgrade over current decent CD Player
Dec 31, 2004 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

walkman666

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I've done a fair amount of reading and searching (a lot actually) over the past few weeks in a quest for knowledge about potentially upgrading my CD player, but feel that I need to start (yet another) personal thread asking the gurus to offer their specific suggestions for my needs. I hope that is okay (I know their are a lot of these threads).

Current system:

- Myryad MC-100 CD player (5 years old, 24 bit delta-sigma DAC, retailed for $1200, someone else is selling this unit for $475 on Audiogon)
- Myryad MI-120 integrated amplifier
- Vandersteen 1C speakers
- Grado SR-225, ATH-A900, Gilmore Lite (coming)
- Tastes: rock, alternative. No killer preference for analytical/bright vs. warm/lush. Best overall sound, either way, is fine by me.
- Constraints: due to space, no top loading CD players (e.g. Rega Planet 2000) or DACs (Benchmark DAC1) that require two boxes. I would want the "typical-sized" CD player (e.g. approx 17" x 11" x 4").

I would like to know, with a budget of $1500 max (and preferably closer to $1200 max), would a new CD player (or a used elite CD player like a Meridian 508.24) result in a significant improvement in sound quality...?

Based on my research, for example would,say, a Level 1 modded Jolida JD-100 or a level 3 modded Music Hall CD-25 or a used Meridian 508.24 or a used Musical Fidelity A3.2 or a Eastern Electric Minimax or a Njoe Tjoeb etc result in a noticeable upgrade? I list these players as I have seen them highly recommended here, and they are in my budget. I have spoken to Underwood Wally and am playing phone tag with Brice at Sound Odyssey as well. [e.g. I have noticed Stryker's (beloved) highly modded Music Hall CD-25 for sale here and at Audiogon...would that be a big upgrade over my Myryad MC-100?]

What other players would you suggest?

Or, is my current player, a pretty good Myryad essentially at the level of quality where I would really need to spend more $ to make the difference for which I am seeking?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be highly appreciated.

thx, - walkman666

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 29
I have not heard any of the players you have listed but I received my Denon 2900 from SACDmods yesterday.This player sounds way better than my Azur 640c.Any player in that price range is going to have to beat this unit to be worthy of consideration.

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 29
I have not heard the Myryad MC-100 but a quick google "research" tells me it is a very good player. At the $1,500 price point, I am not sure the alternative players you listed will be a significant upgrade with the exception of the Meridian 508.24. I have not heard the 508.24 but if it is close to my Meridian G08, that should be an upgrade over the Myriad but I am not sure if it provides a significant improvement in sound.

I know you posted in the source forum, but have you considered new headphones? I love my SR-225 but it doesn't scale with better gear compared to the HD650. Perhaps a more "exotic" headphone will inject new vigor into your musical enjoyment, say a Grado PS-1 or RS-1 (assuming you like the Grado sound)?

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 29
Thanks ssportclay and PatB. I'm not really interested in SACD, ssportclay. PatB, I'm pretty happy with my headphones. While the Senn 650s are supposed to be very good, I don't think they are the best match for my kinda music (hard rock and alternative), and the others you suggested in the Grado line are something for me to consider (although I'm hoping to upgrade my sound via both headphone and external speakers, sound-wise).

I guess the Myryad I own is a good unit, but was wondering what it would take to upgrade, and it might very well take more than what I am budgeting. I would like to hear from some of the sages here, like chumley etc who own elite units as well as very modded Music Halls. I'm wondering if those would constitute an upgrade. I hope more folks can help me out here with suggestions (and if "stay with the myryad" is the consensus, then that's the data I need to know).

IIRC, PatB, you went through something similar to me, as you had recently purchased the Rega Planet and then upgraded sorta on a whim to a new Meridian. Unfortunately, a G08 is outta my budget, but I was a hopin', perhaps with improved tech over the past 5-6 years, the age of my Myryad, that a comparably priced player ($1200) would be superior to my current player. That's the info I am seeking.

Any additional thoughts on this?

thx, - walkman666

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
IIRC, PatB, you went through something similar to me, as you had recently purchased the Rega Planet and then upgraded sorta on a whim to a new Meridian. Unfortunately, a G08 is outta my budget, but I was a hopin', perhaps with improved tech over the past 5-6 years, the age of my Myryad, that a comparably priced player ($1200) would be superior to my current player. That's the info I am seeking.

I wouldn't have upgraded my Rega Planet for a Rega Jupiter or Musical Fidelity A3.2, although the last two cost twice as much as the Planet. They have better soundstage and resolution than the Planet, bu not significantly so. It is not worth it to me. The Meridian G08, on the other hand, is in a totally different league from the Planet -- once I auditioned it there is no turning back.

When I purchased the Planet, my budget was initially $1K then bumped to $2K. I didn't consider the modded units cause I can't find an audition. I also did not consider a used unit because I don't want to go through the hassle of returning something defective, doesn't look good up close etc. For non-modded, new players at the $1k-$2K price point, the differences will be mostly a matter of taste as to which one is more musical, etc.

Why don't you visit hi-fi stores in your area and audition players in the $1K to $5K? You don't have to buy, but at least you will hear what I am talking about. My suggestion to you, since you already have a good player, is to save up for the next level.

Jan 1, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 29
Good points, PATB. Thanks. I have been to 3 stores in NYC to do what you suggested, and your thoughts about saving up for the next level, alongside the fact that you did not merely upgrade from a planet to jupiter (cosmic example, here) makes sense. It had to be a significant upgrade to make a significant sonic difference to you. Chances are, same for me. Some good food for thought. I appreciate your advice and input.

- walkman666

Jan 1, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 29
Hey Dudes>PATB raises very good points. But for the same amount you are willing to spend on a new cd player compared to your old one then there are improvements but they are only slight. To get a big improvement you have to spend a bit more. But beware the law of diminishing returns applies.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 29
walkman666: As you've already got a pretty good player there, I'd first suggest to check it (or let it check) for its modding potential before considering a new one.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 29
From posts I have read,the planet over the Azur 640c is small if any.The sonic quality of the SACDmods over the 640c is huge.Its too good for a headphone system but I think it will work if demanded.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
From posts I have read,the planet over the Azur 640c is small if any.The sonic quality of the SACDmods over the 640c is huge.Its too good for a headphone system but I think it will work if demanded.

Do not be put off by your train of thought of a sacdmod being too good for a headphone system. Take a look at my sig....
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
What is that supposed to mean?
blink.gif
confused.gif

State of the art high fidelity demands speakers.The SACDmods Denon 2900 is a little overkill for headphones.For someone who wants the best headphone rig, it will work.

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 29
I still don't really see how easily you can establish a line where the quality of a source is just overkill for headphones, while not for speakers. Speakers do present a soundstage and realism that headphones are not capable of, but for that you don't need a high end source. Soundstage-wise, even any low end cheap source would be "too good" for headphones in that sense. Bass impact also is an area where headphones are no match for speakers (good speakers at least), but for good bass impact with speakers you don't need a truly high end source either. Resolution-wise, purity of tone, and even dynamics-wise, there's no clear point of when a headphone is really no match for a speaker. So I don't see where you come up with a point where a source is "too good" for headphones.

Happy New Year btw!

Jan 1, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I still don't really see how easily you can establish a line where the quality of a source is just overkill for headphones, while not for speakers. Speakers do present a soundstage and realism that headphones are not capable of, but for that you don't need a high end source. Soundstage-wise, even any low end cheap source would be "too good" for headphones in that sense. Bass impact also is an area where headphones are no match for speakers (good speakers at least), but for good bass impact with speakers you don't need a truly high end source either. Resolution-wise, purity of tone, and even dynamics-wise, there's no clear point of when a headphone is really no match for a speaker. So I don't see where you come up with a point where a source is "too good" for headphones.

Happy New Year btw!

I am finding that the Von Schweikert speakers are improving at a much greater rate with my new source than my DT860s and my DT880s.From what I am hearing so far,I would recommend only headphones that are a great deal higher in guality than these with this source.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 29
Thanks all for the input, mucho appreciated! I will explore the possibility of modding my current Myryad MC-100, give my current Myryad a little more "credit," and realize that I might have to spend a bit more to get the {b]significant[/b] improvement I seek. Your input and greater objectivity here is helpful. I'll also explore the possiblity of a SACD player or mod, but have to do some research on super audio formats. I do not know much about SACD, and do not know, for example, if this is dependent on the media one is using (e.g. do the CDs themselves SACD to be fully realized on an SACD player?).

Ultimately, my question may be re-phrased as such:

Will a 2005 $1200 USD CD player offer a significant sound improvement over a 1998 $1200 CD player?, similarly,

Will a used circa 1998 $3,500-ish USD CD player (Meridian 508.24) sound much better than my Myryad MC-100?

thx, and happy new year all!
- walkman666

Users who are viewing this thread

Back