suggested rca cable
Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 22
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

The only way to get better value cables is if you can get shorter runs off large spools (I see some on eBay, some pro-audio stores sell them retail), plugs and solder them yourself.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 22
Monoprice

A long time ago I bought one of the Blue Jeans LC-1 (still use it actually) but I could not tell the difference between the $40 BJC and the $2 version from Monoprice.

YMMV.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 22
Oh yeah, Monoprice. My default suggestion is always BJC though because I'm used to just getting my cables done in pro-audio retailers in my area who sell meter-cuts of cable from large spools, and they solder the tips for a small fee if I buy the plugs from them. BJC uses similar parts which is why I  think of it right away.

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 22
Oh yeah, Monoprice. My default suggestion is always BJC though because I'm used to just getting my cables done in pro-audio retailers in my area who sell meter-cuts of cable from large spools, and they solder the tips for a small fee if I buy the plugs from them. BJC uses similar parts which is why I  think of it right away.

Yeah, I can understand that. I do like the custom nature of BJC or what you're describing though. :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Just bought a pair of Audioengine A2's and a Audioengine D1. I'm looking for a RCA male to RCA Male (red and white at each end) quality cable. Any suggestions?

Get this one:

Audioquest Sydney - http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/sydney - $200 for 1.5m

or

Audioquest Yosemite - http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/yosemite - $695 for 1.5m if you don't mind spending more. It's an investment.

I made a mistake by going cheap on the RCA cable when I was in market for an external DAC....

Audioengine D1 DAC stinks pretty bad though. It's not that good.  I would also recommend you to reconsider..... save up some more money and get the Benchmark DAC-1.

Or if you are short budget try this one:

Wireworld Equinox 6 RCA cable - http://www.wireworldcable.com/products/66.html   - It's a little bit cheaper than the Audioquest Sydney.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 22
I heard the biggest jump going from generic cable (supplied by speaker manufacturer) to the Sydney cable for my A2 speakers.  It wipes out D1 DAC w/ generic cable easy no comparison.

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 22
Don't bother listening to goodolcheez's advice. The more I see him post the more I realize he's trolling.

He's suggesting you buy a cable that costs more than either your speakers or DAC .... so just go out and buy a DAC that is 5x the price.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
Don't bother listening to goodolcheez's advice. The more I see him post the more I realize he's trolling.

He's suggesting you buy a cable that costs more than either your speakers or DAC .... so just go out and buy a DAC that is 5x the price.

A2 speakers sound better than the A5 (or A5+).  A5 has unbalanced sound. I told you this before. Now you are holding a grudge against me.  Glad the OP got the A2 speakers instead. :)

The cable suggestion from me is really good.  You don't have to get the Yosemite but the Sydney is definitely needed.  Biggest improvement in sound I have ever experienced.  The generic cables sound foggy and you don't get as much detail, not to mention lack air / space.

OP, think of as an *investment*. Even though it costs a lot higher than your speakers you can improve your A2 speaker sound and also can be used for the future speakers that you may upgrade to.  Make sure to get the 3.5mm mini-to-RCA, not 3.5mm mini-to-mini as some high end speakers don't take mini connection but they do take RCA.   If you are set on the Audioengine D1 DAC then you'll need to get the Sydney cable RCA-to-RCA.  Don't go too short on the cable... you will regret as the cable won't be long enough to reach the speakers when you set them up.  1.5m is minimum....  don't go any shorter.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 22
Put it this way....  based on my hands-on experience, the Sydney cable running straight from macbook headphone port to the A2 speakers blew the Audioengine D1 DAC w/ cheaper aftermarket RCA cable out of the water....  It was like an obliteration.  That's why I returned the D1 DAC and stayed with the Sydney cable...   You'll need more expensive DAC, something in the $300~ 500 range + generic or entry level aftermarket RCA cable to compete the Sydney cable running straight off the headphone port, without the external DAC. That's scary.  Just goes to show how much interconnects have impact on sound.

I have the Sydney cable.  But I also have the 100% solid PSS silver Angel cable (3.5mm-to-3.5mm) running straight from computer to the speakers as it's giving me the best sound. Granted, small improvement over the Sydney cable.  I am most happy with it. :)

Audioquest Angel cable costed me $1200 (1.5m).

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 22
$1,200 cables for $200 speakers. I rest my case.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
$1,200 cables for $200 speakers. I rest my case.

No doubt. The idea was obviously to get as little bang for the buck with one's budget 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back