Suggested Phones for Radio DJing and Home Rig?
Feb 4, 2004 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

silentperfection

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, first of all my absolute limit is 200 hundred dollars simply because I am poor and head-fi has overtaken all control I have over my money.

Secondly, here's my home rig currently:

M-Audio Delta 410
Marantz 2230 Reciever (as headphone amp)

Yes I realize that source can be uprgraded a million ways. Dac in future? hmmm...
Stop it! Stop dreaming!

What I want is headphones that will be able to take advantage of the 2230 as an amp and also be able to be used as headphones when I DJ for a radio station in a couple months. Not party DJing or scratching. Just regular radio disc jockey. Any suggestions?

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 20
Beyerdynamic DT250-250
AKG 271
Ultrasone HFI-650

Feb 5, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 20
Since when are V6s standard issue? If anything, the crappier V700s make a better fashion statement and are more "standard"...

Anyway, I'd second the recommendation of AKG 271s, or if you want to go cheap and cheerful, 240DFs. Those are standard radio headphones all over the world.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by davei
Since when are V6s standard issue? If anything, the crappier V700s make a better fashion statement and are more "standard"...

I've seen the MDR-7506 (which is essentially the V6) on more radio/studio heads than any other phone. Ever watch the Howard Stern Show? Guess what phones they all use. The other day we had a film crew in our school filming one of our Emeritus Professors during lecture. Guess what phone the sound guy was wearing?
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Ozric
I've seen the MDR-7506 (which is essentially the V6) on more radio/studio heads than any other phone. Ever watch the Howard Stern Show? Guess what phones they all use. The other day we had a film crew in our school filming one of our Emeritus Professors during lecture. Guess what phone the sound guy was wearing?
biggrin.gif

I would think this is because of several factors, namely a low price, high availability, and higher-than-high brand name recognition.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I would think this is because of several factors, namely a low price, high availability, and higher-than-high brand name recognition.

Probably true...I was simply countering davei questioning the fact that the 7506s/V6s are "standard issue". It wasn't an endorsement of the V6s over the AKGs or Beyers; for radio DJing, though, you can't go wrong with the V6. Exceptional bang for the buck.

Feb 6, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 20
Some very interesting suggestions. At this point I am leaning toward the AKGs. Would the Sonys even benefit from an amp and aren't they a bit bassy? I like my bass but not exaggerated I would much rather have a neutral sound, well as neutral as possible. Also, these will be my main listening phones, at least for some time so that should be taken into consideration. But thanks for all the reccomendations! Keep em coming!

Feb 6, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 20
Fair enough, you see the 7506 on one TV show and it's standard issue (I stopped listening to Stern after he split with his wife... far too lame after that. But that's for another forum). I've seen far more AKGs myself. If anything, the 7506 is OVERpriced in this case - if you go through Sony Broadcast & Pro, it ends up being double what savvy Head-Fiers pay.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Fair enough, you see the 7506 on one TV show and it's standard issue (I stopped listening to Stern after he split with his wife... far too lame after that. But that's for another forum). I've seen far more AKGs myself. If anything, the 7506 is OVERpriced in this case - if you go through Sony Broadcast & Pro, it ends up being double what savvy Head-Fiers pay.

It's not because of Howard Stern (that's news to me) Go visit any Radio station and I'm willing to bet 80% of them have got a pair of V6s or variant (7506) If you ever watch, behind the scenes look on movies, the director / sound guy usually has a pair of V6s as well.

That , and the fact that Sony's been making them since 1985 -- not sure how long V700s been around.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 20
I don't think your source is *that* bad, and your receive is certainly fine. In fact, your setup almost mimicks my own, if not for phones.

Anyway... What type of music do you listen to? What type of radio station do you work at? What are your listening preferences? Do you like a lot of bass? A sweet, liquid midrange, or?

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
not sure how long V700s been around.

The V700s have only been around since 1998 or 1999. And there have been so many complaints about the durability of those V700s in the five years that they've been on the market.

Feb 25, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Anyway, I'd second the recommendation of AKG 271s, or if you want to go cheap and cheerful, 240DFs. Those are standard radio headphones all over the world.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The V700s have only been around since 1998 or 1999. And there have been so many complaints about the durability of those V700s in the five years that they've been on the market.

Mine V700s broke, plus the sound quality is nowhere near the level of any of the other headphones in this thread.

The 280's fine for a budget can, but for DJs who wear them for extended times they're not comfortable enough. The 271 or 250 would be a much better choice - i'll tell you which I find better after mine arrive in a few days
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back