Suggested 5.1 External Sound Card w/ Optical Out
Aug 20, 2007 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mrsolid

New Head-Fier
Hi, brand new to the forum - you guys were actually recommended to me after I posted this same question at the AV123 forum.

I've got an Acer notebook that I've got hooked up to my tv as an HTPC but the only audio out is through the headphone jack. I'm in the process of putting together my first real home theatre system (speakers arrive next week
biggrin.gif
) and am looking for an external sound card that will do decent 5.1 optical output to my receiver, an onkyo 604.

Just looking for suggestions on something that'll do a good job without breaking the bank. Thx!

Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong thread!

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Aug 20, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 8
thanks thevinylripper!

any idea whether it will support 3.0 / 3.1 as i gradually work towards the full 5.1? i'll only have mains and a center for at least a few months... or would this just be a matter of setting my receiver to a 3.0 setup and it will distribute the sound accordingly?

apologies for the newb questions!

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 8
The unit is extremely configurable in software, I'd be quite surprised if you can't run a 3.1 configuration from it.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...20483&PageId=1

Quote:

Configuration of the Audio Advantage is handled through the Proprietary software installed off the CD. To say that the configuration options are extensive is a gross understatement. The SRM control panel allows you to configure your Surround Sound system for your room. You can let the software program know the exact placing of each of your speakers by clicking the "Speakers" tab and selecting the spacing of your speakers.

You can set the volume of each individual speaker, choose from many EQ presents or set an individual EQ pattern for each speaker. If that's not enough for you, click the "Effects" tab and and enable any one of dozens of "Sound Stages" to shape your sound. You can re-create a concert hall, auditorium and many other options as well as some crazy ones like "under water" or "sewer pipe." It certainly does add a note of creativity to your sound.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 8
I have the Creative Sound Blaster USB 24-bit External and it does a fine job. I bought mine for $60 CAD. It has coax and optical digital outputs. It also has 5.1 speaker outputs.

One thing to note is the digital output will only output stereo sound for games. I don't know of any sound card that outputs 5.1 sound via digital output for games. Most will output 5.1 digital if you play a DVD on your computer, but for games they will not. This is because they don't have built in Dolby Digital 5.1 encoders. If someone knows of one, please post it.

So, to connect 5.1 to your receiver you will want to use the 5.1 analog speaker outputs instead (if you're playing games).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back