Suggest most transparent, detailed DACs $300-$500)
Aug 22, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #31 of 39
Alright, so I've been in an indecisive mode for the past week or so. I've narrowed my choices down to the MF X-DAC v3 (no psu for now, maybe later), CI VDA-2 (this would have to be used and not too much over 400, not sure if the PSU could be had with it at that price or not), CI VDA-1 and VAC-1, Diyeden Great March 2 (can't seem to find any reviews or thoughts about this one anywhere except the pacific valve site, but it sounds like it has some potential), or lastly maybe go cheaper like an MD-10 for now and save up for a better DAC down the road. Would anyone be able to compare any of these DACs and possibly give a recommendation? Thanks again.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #32 of 39
I had many DAC from low to mid price points and VDA2 is most revolving and detailed DAC I have heard to date. There is one other advantage of VDA2. You can go balanced with very simple DIY cable job; 2 RCA (0 phase & 180 phase) to XLS per channel.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by HankTheTank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, so I've been in an indecisive mode for the past week or so. I've narrowed my choices down to the MF X-DAC v3 (no psu for now, maybe later), CI VDA-2 (this would have to be used and not too much over 400, not sure if the PSU could be had with it at that price or not), CI VDA-1 and VAC-1, Diyeden Great March 2 (can't seem to find any reviews or thoughts about this one anywhere except the pacific valve site, but it sounds like it has some potential), or lastly maybe go cheaper like an MD-10 for now and save up for a better DAC down the road. Would anyone be able to compare any of these DACs and possibly give a recommendation? Thanks again.

I'll be purchasing the Great March II within a week or two. Somebody needs to get it and write something about it on head-fi, and I looks like I'll be the first
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be purchasing the Great March II within a week or two. Somebody needs to get it and write something about it on head-fi, and I looks like I'll be the first
wink.gif

Thanks for taking one for the team! I am very interested in reading your impressions of the GMII.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #35 of 39
SK138, have you heard any of the other DACs I listed? Do you think it could be had used near the 400 mark? I think I'm finding that there isn't really a bad choice at least
tongue.gif

Another thanks to Redo, I was considering doing that but since I am in college and only make money during the summer and don't really have experience with other DACs to make a useful comparison I have had to factor in that risk if it doesn't perform.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 39
My suggestion would be a Behringer SRC2496. In modded form, very detailed and extremely close to the performance of my existing BC DAC2, which I rate as being able to compete against anything short of a good Esoteric CDP.
The SRC costs peanuts, has gobs of detail whilst not sounding as dry an unpleasant (IMO) as say a DAC1.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #38 of 39
nm wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back