Suggest me some music...
Mar 8, 2007 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a bit bored with my music collection recently, and I could do with some new stuff.
I'm looking for similar stuff to Dream Theater (I love the musicality/technicality of it).
I also really love "The fall of Math" by 65daysofstatic. I haven't heard anything else by them, but I love the style of music, and I like having no vocals once in a while.

Also, any recommendations of bands similar to Mastodon?

Obviously, recommendations don't have to fit into every category.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 10
No vocals? You NEED to hear Pelican.

Like Dream Theatre? There are others better suited to recommendations, but Isis might be a good place to start.

If you like Math, Meshuggah is a good starting point. Try "Nothing" which has just been reissued and remastered.

Finally, if you like Mastodon, the sky is the limit, since they're basically thrash with a little mathiness thrown in. Closest thing I can think of right now might be Unearth or At the Gates.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 10
I would try Edguy and Blind Guardian.
BG are pretty much the best "Symphonic Power Metal" around,
and from what I've heard of Dream Theater, Edguy are pretty similar (a bit tongue in cheek, and more metal.)

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 10
check out other acts that DT members have been involved in. thanks to doing that, i now love Dixie Dregs and Jon Finn Group. both of them are seriously the ****... especially the latter. imagine Dream Theater but bluesy. instrumental by the way.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Another Dream Theater lover here. Check out Liquid Tension Experiment and OSI--both very Dream-Theater-y (hmm... I wonder why
tongue.gif
).

Cheers

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 10
For things similar to 65daysofstatic (wonderful band by the way, nice to see another fan here), check out Russian Circles, Giant Squid, Isis, Red Sparowes, and Pelican. Definately check out 65's second album, One Time For All Time, as well... it's very good. I think they also have a new one out, but I haven't heard it.

Along a similar vein, you might want to check out a band called Upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start. Fun stuff... sort of.

If you want things similar to Dream Theater, there's a whole legion of typical self-absorbed metal to be found. Some of the more prominent bands include Andromeda, Ayreon, Symphony X, Gordian Knot, Evergrey, Planet X, Adagio, Pagan's Mind, Vanden Plas, Pain of Salvation, Circus Maximus, Ark, Conception, Threshold, Beyond Twilight, Dreamscape, and others.

As for Mastodon, I dunno really. You can check out stuff like Neurosis, Lethargy, Today is the Day, Discordance Axis, and Converge. None of those sound much of anything like Mastodon in a musical sense, but they have other things in common. Sorry, I can't come up with anything more direct here... though GlendaleViper's recommendation of At the Gates might work for you.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I got a friend to send me a couple of tracks by Isis and Pelican, and I really like them.
Which albums would you guys suggest?

For ISIS-although "Oceanic" is my favorite album, I think "Panopticon" might be the most accessible due to its melodic and somewhat more chill sound (although ironically, it could be their darkest and most complex album).

For Pelican-never heard them but have been meaning to get one of their albums for a while now-am waiting for a recd starting place myself.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Check out Opeth Damnation. It's a very good prog rock death metal album. It doesn't have the usual cookie monter vocals of Opeth. A very very good album.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back