suggest me a digital camera.
Sep 28, 2004 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
My canon 2.1 mp is just not cutting it. I need at least 4mp. I like taking pictures but am not that great at photography. Could someone suggest me a digital camera that they know takes good pictures. The other problem with mine is that the flash is way too weak. I do realize that my camera is made for portable use so that must be why. I'm looking for something that doesnt have to be completely portable but not one of those professional ones. Also it should be fairly sleek looking. Any suggestions would help. Anything from 250-450 price range. Cheaper is better though.

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
anyone have or used the sony DSC-P73 before?

I actually bought one for my mom a couple of months ago. It's easy to use, takes decent quality pictures, as far as I can tell. Looks great, fits comfortably in your hand (mine at least) and is easy to carry around. I'd defnitely reccomend it. I think I got it for around 275.

the Judge

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 36
www.stevesdigicams.com is your answer. The holy grail of digicams reviews
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 36
Take a look at the Canon S500. I gave these to my sister as a wedding gift and it takes great pictures. I

f you want a slightly cheaper option, take the Canon S40. (They have the newer S41 now.) I had these as my first digital camera and also takes great pictures, its fully packed with camera options too.

Sep 28, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z
Olympys C750 Ultra Zoom, not sure whether this is in your price range. I have this on loan at the moment (as coincidently I was feeling my Nikon CoolPix 995 was not cutting it for me anymore).

Let the sample shots do the talking:
Look at all those fuzz in the grilles!

One of my friends owns this camera, and so after using it a while back I decided I needed one for myself, and my brother also bought one (we live states apart so it doesn't matter if we get the same stuff).

Anyway this camera really is great, it is 4 megapixels, has a 10x OPTICAL zoom (digital zooms are worthless), and has many different modes and settings (including auto). The only problem is that it uses xD cards, which I have found to be the best deal off of www.newegg.com.

When I purchased the camera it was $430

edit: I'll upload some pictures later

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 36
It's a great camera indeed especially the presets. Point & shoot results are very good which is useful for me. The only issue I have is it's autofocus when taking closeup/macro shots. Lots of trial & error shots but when you get it right wow!

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 36
Sep 28, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 36
I agree that dpreview.com is excellent. The reviews are very reliable. I'd also suggest you stay with Canon. In consider Canon to be the leader. In the price range you are in the flash will be modest. The get a significantly better flash you would need to spend a lot more but with a fast lens you will depend less on flash so look also for lens speed.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
The c750 takes great pictures but I think I'm looking for something a little cheaper than that.

The C740 is more than $100 less and has many of the same features, but is only 3.2mp. What makes you want a minimum of 4mp? mp != quality

However, if you do not want a big zoom (with all my travels I didn't find anything less than 6x optical sufficient; boy was I dissapointed in Alaska when I couldn't get good pictures because of my old camera
frown.gif
), you may want to look at other cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back