Suggest me a DAC Kit
Nov 19, 2009 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cha_indian

New Head-Fier
I am looking to build my own DAC....i have got to choose from atleast three options now ...

1. Gigalab DAC kit $110
2. HIFIDIY 1798 DAC kit $159 + $25 for tranformer
3. Analogmetic DAC kit $122

I am looking at the best possible DAC kit for the price. Please suggest me any other kits you may have (bugdet is not more than $170 ) . Would any of the above mentioned kits exceed the Zhoulu 3.5/AudioGD Compass/Musiland MK2 ??

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello Cha indian, i have the HIFI 1798 DAC Kit and it's a very good DAC, i made some modifications like Sun Opas form Audio GD, replace the tube with mullards 12AT7 and it sounds really really good in fact a like it more than the DACMagic, the kit it's very well made very good parts and construction.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 7
That is so nice to hear...you must have spent additional 100$ on it on the tube and OPamps ? If so the additional cost improve sound quality? My problem is that if i buy any of those kits and the sound is only as good as a AudioGD Compass or a Zhoulu, then i am not keen to DIY.... If anyone could post comprisons with other builds that would be great .

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Cha Indian, i have a DAC19MK3 and it sounds better than these 1798 kit, but it was fun to learn with it, the 1798 was my first DAC and enables me to DIY an learn to much about dacs, opas, DAC-chips and sound, for now it's in my office system and provides me with very good sound and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back